Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Architecture Wednesday: West Yard Farm


Y’all know I love a barn, and this one, a renovation of a 19th century country house and its granaries in the middle of Dartmoor National Park in southwest England is one of my favorites.

The entire property, the home and barn and outbuildings, were in need of repair and renovation, with the idea of creating a large family home by combining the main house, the barn via new, contemporary glass extension. The farmhouse now has 4 bedrooms, a living room, a dining room, and a spacious and bright kitchen within the attached glass space, while the old milking parlor is a self-contained guesthouse.

I love the old stone buildings combined with the sleek modern glass extensions and boxes, to create a rustic, open, bright space.

My mom always said I should have been born in a barn because I always leave the doors open and this would be the perfect barn for me.


Click to emBIGGERate ...


8 comments:

  1. I love the exterior more than the interior.....but IF I HAD HAO live there I could.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother was supposed to have been born in a barn too!
    Loverly location.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, but it needs a splash of color to give it life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Especially those thick stone walls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. Interior needs some humanizing (as usual). But I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surprised they allowed this in a National Park and what ought to be a listed building

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......