Monday, April 09, 2018

Today In Asshattery: SC Republican Pulls A Gun At Constituent Meeting


A few years back, Carlos and I stopped shopping at Kroger because they allow open carry in their stores where open catty is legal; I always felt that I didn’t need a shotgun to buy a dozen eggs, but that’s just me. And I really was less worried about the guy with the gun, than the guy who saw the gun and tried to take it.

This past week, Ralph Norman, a conservative Republican … because, of course … congressman from South Carolina pulled out a gun during a “coffee with constituents” event.

Yes; he did. Norman brandished the Smith & Wesson handgun at a diner, and left it on the table for several minutes, telling his constituents:
“I’m not going to be a Gabby Giffords. I don’t mind dying, but whoever shoots me better shoot well or I’m shooting back.”
Yes, he believes the way to stop a guy with a gun is to have your own gun.

Lori Freemon, a volunteer with Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, was at that meeting:
“I had looked forward to a respectful dialogue with my representative about common-sense gun violence prevention policies. Instead, I felt unsafe when he insisted on showing us his loaded gun and keeping it out on the table for much of our conversation.”
And Norman isn’t apologizing:
“I’m tired of these liberals jumping on the guns themselves as if they are the cause of the problem. Guns are not the problem.”
He’s right there; guns aren’t the problem. It’s access to guns; it is allowing assault-style weapons to be sold; it’s sitting at a diner while your representative in Washington pulls out a gun and sets it on the table.

Now I feel so much better when I remember the day Ralph Norman called my house to ask for my vote:
Are you a Republican who supports the NRA?” I asked.
“Yes, I am.” He replied.
“Then there’s not a chance in hell.”
Click.

4 comments:

  1. Always scares me when I see one. Usually in the
    grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm beginning to think we just put the gun tottlers all in a room and let them all take each other out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we should take maddie's advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also really like Mistress Maddie's idea.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......