Friday, October 20, 2017

I Didn't Say It ...

Prince Harry, on his mother, Princess Diana’s AIDS activism and what she might be doing today:

“She was still finding her way in public life, but she already felt a responsibility to shine her spotlight on the people and issues that were often ignored. She knew that AIDS was one of the things that many wanted to ignore and seemed like a hopeless challenge. She knew that the misunderstanding of this relatively new disease was creating a dangerous situation when mixed with homophobia. So when that April, she shook the hand of a 32 year-old man with HIV in front of the cameras, she knew exactly what she was doing. She was using her position as Princess of Wales, the most famous woman in the world, to challenge everyone to educate themselves. To find their compassion, and to reach out to those who need help, instead of pushing them away. I believe that [if she were still alive] she would be telling everyone across society, not just those most at risk, that with effective treatment being free and available in the UK, that we must all embrace regular testing, both for our own sake and for those that we love. She would be demanding that same access to treatment and testing for young people in Africa and across the world, and she would of course, of course, be standing alongside those who are living openly as healthy, happy, and HIV positive.”

I remember that photo of Dina holding that man’s hand and how it sent shockwaves around the world. But that photo also told many people not to be afraid, to care, to help.
Just one photo ....
PS Harry is hot!
Kate Winslet, on why she didn’t thank Harvey Weinstein in her Oscar acceptance speech:

“For my whole career, Harvey Weinstein, whenever I’ve bumped into him, he’d grab my arm and say, ‘Don’t forget who gave you your first movie.’ Like I owe him everything. Then later, with The Reader, same thing. ‘I’m gonna get you that Oscar nomination, I’m gonna get you a win, I’m gonna win for you.’ But that’s how he operated. He was bullying and nasty.”

And from what I’ve heard about Weinstein’s massive ego, the fact she didn’t say his name probably pissed him off something fierce.
Sebastian Gorka, speaking at the Values Voter ‘Hate’ Summit:

“The Left has no idea how much more damage we can do to them as private citizens, as people unfettered by being part of the U.S. government. And as you can see, from the campaigning I did for Judge Moore, and Steve [Bannon] as well, we have begun!”

Check your figures, dickwad, because the Democrat running against Moore is gaining momentum. And, to be clear, helping an asshatted bigoted homophobe win an election in Alabama isn’t rocket science, so put your white hood back on and go away.
America Ferrera, on her own experience being sexually assaulted:

"First time I can remember being sexually assaulted I was nine years old. I told no one and lived with the shame and guilt thinking all along that I, a 9-year-old child, was somehow responsible for the actions of a grown man. I had to see this man on a daily basis for years to come. He would smile at me and wave, and I would hurry past him, my blood running cold, my guts carrying the burden of what only he and I knew — that he expected me to shut my mouth and smile back."

Nine years old. And no one knew but the pedophile and her.
John McCain, warning Americans against _____ without ever saying his name:

“To abandon the ideals we have advanced around the globe, to refuse the obligations of international leadership for the sake of some half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems is as unpatriotic as an attachment to any other tired dogma of the past that Americans consigned to the ash heap of history. We live in a land of ideals, not blood and soil.”

Blood and soil; a clear reference to the white supremacists that support the Bigot-In-Chief.
Reese Witherspoon, on her experience with sexual assault at age 16:

“I’ve had multiple experiences of harassment and sexual assault, and I don’t speak about them very often. But after hearing all the stories these past few days and hearing these brave women speak up tonight, the things that we’re kind of told to sweep under the rug and not talk about, it’s made me want to speak up and speak up loudly because I felt less alone this week than I’ve ever felt in my entire career.”

All it takes is one voice to lead the way and suddenly you feel less alone.
To co-opt a phrase from another movement: Silence = Death.
George W. Bush, no longer the worst president in history, talking about _____ without ever saying his name, at a George W. Bush Institute event in New York:

“Bigotry seems emboldened. Our politics seems more vulnerable to conspiracy theories and outright fabrication. We’ve seen nationalism distorted into nativism. We’ve seen our discourse degraded by casual cruelty. Argument turns too easily into animosity. It means that bigotry and white supremacy in any form is blasphemy against the American creed, and it means the very identity of our nation depends on passing along civic ideals. Bullying and prejudice in our public life … provides permission for cruelty and bigotry.”

Bush, who never spoke out against Obama, is coming for _____; hopefully he can sway the non-Deplorables into realizing _____ is not their man.

11 comments:

  1. Thank goodness someone in the royal family has class. And I never disliked George Bush but never thought he'd gain even more points. Good for him for speaking his mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear Presidents Obama and W Bush speak out. I hope everyone listens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo of Princess Di holding an AIDS patient's hand has got to be one of the very few most positively influential photos since photography was invented. It changed attitudes using no words - or at the very least got possibly millions to question their own attitudes. If she'd done no more in her life than this it still would have been a life worth living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sebastian Gorka - FUCK YOU, LOSER!

    bush jr & mccain are calling out the h8!

    and what woman or man DOESN'T wanna fuck prince harry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bring on the pitchforks and torches, I don't find prince Harry very attractive, personally, but for that family he's gorgeous :)

    I feel so very much for America. I was seven when I was molested by an uncle who had molested my mother at the same age. Why she chose to let him babysit her girls is beyond my comprehension! I knew if I'd have told her, she would've beaten me for letting him near me. Sick bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard on the (fake)news, MSNBC, that both Bush and Obama spoke out against The Moron yesterday. It tickled me to no end. I'm so happy that they can gather such large groups of people together in order to let them all know that they are stronger together today against white supremacy than ever before. People need to be reminded that they can fight this crap. We tend to forget too easily and go about our daily business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe most, if not all, women can use the #metoo hashtag concerning sexual harassment/abuse/assault. Who among us escapes unscathed? Virtually no one. That's a sad but real fact.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I care for people with HIV. Diana was the first to educate us about it. I have never been afraid of contracting HIV in my job. Seriously, I am more worried about bedbugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great thoughts from Harry. And alas, there seems to be so much going on in the world today. Greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh sigh... to think Bush is looking good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who would have thought that der Trumpenfuhrer would make GW sound presidential and a force for good? If you'd told me that back in Bush's glory years I would NEVER have believed it

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......