Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Architecture Wednesday: Modern Log [and Glass] Cabin

I am not much for the wilderness; my parents used to own a home high in the Sierra Nevada Mountains and got a lot of snow each winter. I loved being up there ... inside the house, not out in that mess.

That’s why this house appeals to me; I can sit by a fire and drink red wine and watch the snow. I can wander into the kitchen and whip up a fabulous meal and watch the snow’ I can head up to the loft with a good book and watch the snow.

Get the idea?

This log cabin, located in Central Finland, was specifically designed it in order to withstand frosty winter temperatures of up to -22 ºF, as well as summer temperatures of up to 88 ºF. Oh, that makes watching the snow, and, yeah, the summertime greenery, all the more comfortable.

The walls are made with eight-inch thick laminated timber logs with mitred corner joints. Mimicking a long standing tradition of log cabin building while tying the home to its surroundings. But, better still, in addition to the timber log walls, the home also has expansive glass walls for, as the architect says, “the enjoyment of nature from the safety and warmth of the cozy home.”

Like I said ...

4 comments:

  1. I was cold just looking at the pictures!!!! As long as it is cozy inside, I COULD HAVE my arm twisted to stay a couple months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous views and some wood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great getaway. But I’d want to get away from that cold wilderness very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only weatherproofed to -22F (-30C)? Jeez, Finland is practically tropical by comparison to a true Canadian winter. Hell, I don't even bother to plug in my car until it reaches -25C.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......