Tuesday, September 05, 2017

PR 16 Ep 3: Lord! The Dance?

Y’all know I love me some Tim Gunn but ... Tim should not dance. I mean, when the show opened and Heidi was showing Tim some dance moves and, well, I won’t go low because I love Tim Gunn ... just not on the dance floor.

Still, dance is to be a huge part of the challenge this week. The designtestants are shown a clip ::: cue product endorsement::: of the new animated film Leap which means the designers need to create a fashionable look inspired by dance, movement, and innovation. They have one day and $200, but before they get this party started they are treated to a performance of Hiplet—rhymes with ballet—dancers who combine hip-hop and ballet; just to get them in the mood before Mood.

Dance. Movement. Innovation. Remember that ... let’s rip ...
SAFES
first row: Aaron, Amy, Ayana, Claire
second row: Kenya, Michael, Samantha, Shawn
AARON I know he wanted to do something that showed movement of a specific dance move, but the mix of fabric just made it seem odd ... especially since the model never did the specific dance move.

AMY Okay, I loved this; I love the way it changed from one look to another by taking off the sweater and putting it on upside down. I guess it missed the judge’s cut because there was no real movement.

AYANA Her ‘reaching for the stars’ idea was cool, but I agree with Tim who thought all the tiers made it look like a cake.

CLAIRE This is just stupid; Claire thought that just making fabric move would get her into the Top? And don’t get me started on the top which made it look like the model has ginormous deformed boobs.

KENYA Again, loved it, though it had no real movement and didn’t seem dance inspired; it seemed more Judy Garland in the late 60s inspired and that’s not necessarily bad.

MICHAEL this had some movement, and some innovation, once the kimono-esque jacket was removed, but doesn’t seem to dance. But it’s good.

SAMANTHA Her look really transformed, without removing pieces, but, again, it was a bit too hard and stiff to fulfill the movement aspect.

SHAWN Seriously? This should have been in the bottom because it’s almost the same look she made week one—that landed her in the bottom—except this one has two sleeves and instead of sliver shorts it has gray sating sweatpants. What innovation ...
TOPS & BOTTOMS
DEYONTÉ
Deyonté is a little cocky because he’s won once already ... cue ominous drumming ... and then he picks out a neon pistachio fabric ... increase ominous drumming... to showcase movability in his romper-cum-gown.

Drumming so loud I may mute the TV! And I’m not the only one; Tim’s nervous about the\chartreuse color and ruffled neckline, but Deyonté soldiers on, up until he sends a Singer sewing needle through his finger! I was sure they’d have to put Deyonté and the sewing machine on a stretcher and carry them out of the workroom, but  a medic does his work and soon Deyonté is back at work ... cautiously.

WHAT HE SAID
She is floating ... the color is electric ... it’s telling a great story.

WHAT I SAID
I feel like someone jammed a sewing needle in my eye and that Deyonté’s story does not have a happy ending.

WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Zac Posen says, “It’s definitely vibrant ... that’s about it.” But he goes on to say it’s dull ... it’s a sheer skirt ... lace ... and a mullet. He loathes the construction and can tell that Deyonté didn’t finish it. Guest judge, actress from Leap, fashion designer, author and dancer, Maddie Ziegler says it looks like a dance costume and Heidi agrees; she hates the costume, it’s not fashion. It’s ice skater—which is what I said—and bad 80s, bad taste. Nina Garcia said it made the model look short-waisted, and called it confining and constrained.
MARGARITA
Margarita wants to do a take on the Bomba, a traditional Puerto Rican dance. It’ll be flouncy and white, with some hints of red. But she’s struggling, too, with the innovation aspect, and when Tin sees it, he’s worried about the frilly sleeves and the flouncy skirt being too much of  a costume.

So, for innovation, Margarita turns the top around, making a low-cut, midriff bearing top for the look. I have trouble seeing that as innovative and not just a mistake but ... that’s just me.

WHAT SHE SAID
She looks so chic ... it’s crisp ... dance the night away.

WHAT I SAID
I don’t get the all-white. I know she said that’s the color of the traditional dress, but it looks like muslin to me; sad.

WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Heidi loved it—seriously, Klum—and thought it moved beautifully; she loved the crisp white, with the pop of red, though she did feel the midriff was too open. Maddie called it refreshing and a perfect salsa dress, while Nina loved the sleeves and the spirit of the outfit. Zac also loved the red accent, and said Margarita made the best use of fabrication, by using textiles often used in dance outfits. He also gave her points for turning the top around.
KENTARO
Kentaro is all about classical music and ballet, but is scared he got a “regular” model; at least this week he didn’t call her fat. He’s opted to stick to the idea of ballet by creating a Black Swan.

It’s been done, but Tim seems to think there’s some potential in the ideas and wants to see where it goes. But then, as Kentaro finishes up and sees what’s around him in the workroom, he realizes he missed one part of the challenge: his look has no innovation ... among other things.

WHAT HE SAID
I think it’s functional ... I’m happy.

WHAT I SAID
It’s Black Swan as Road Kill; it has no life!

WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Maddie says it looks like something she’d warm up in before dancing, but that the skirt is off; not good. . Ouch. Zac says it has no impact, though he “liked” the top. Heidi said it was too literal, too black, too much of a snooze; she did point out that she liked seeing his model’s curves under the see-through skirt. Nina said another color might have worked, but that the look had no punch; she felt there was a lack of effort in it.
KUDZANAI
Kudzanai is all about color and zippers and feathers and bands of fabric and pockets and a backward, or is it upside down, hoodie. And if that doesn’t sound like a mishmash, he’s calling it African meets West Indies meets Carnivàle meets Hip Hop.

It’s a lot; even Tim says it’s a “lot of look,” but says it will definitely wake the judges up. I don’t know if that’s a good thing, though.

WHAT HE SAID
I like the colors ... the direction of the top ... how dramatic it is.

WHAT I SAID
It’s on backwards, upside down and inside out, right?

WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Heidi says he took the children’s movie inspiration too far because it’s juvenile and unflattering, an exploding piñata and too bizarre. Zac says the construction is a mess, but gets the colors and the feathers of carnivàle; he says it’s a lot of ideas and Nina Garcia adds, “Scary ideas.” She also called it the flip side of Kentaro’s minimalist look, saying it was maximalist and too much embellishment.
BRANDON
Gosh he’s quiet; he got the Zen treatment because he just puts his head down and works; there isn’t a lot of “Oh I love my look” or “This is amazing”, he just works. And he was happy to be working with a model with fewer curves since he does mostly menswear and can make that work to his advantage this week.

His look is a take on a hip-hop men’s shirt, with different layers, and very oversized. Tim loves it, saying it could be relevant in the 1500s and in 2550, when Project Runway Season 147 airs.

WHAT HE SAID
Marsha is killing it ... it’s everything I wanted to convey ... fresh ... relevant ... now.

WHAT I SAID
First off, I’d wear that as an oversized shirt. I love the eye-hooks and the different shades of whites Brandon used. Edgy.

WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Nina says, “Wow.” She loves it, calling it creative and bold, with superb styling on the model. Heidi said, “Oh my gosh! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yeas.” She loves Brandon’s taste, and how different it is with the different whites. Maddie called it chic, cool, stunning and modern. Zac said “These are the moments I wait for,” and loved Brandon’s POV; he also loved the form and structure of the piece, and called it impeccable.
BATANI
Batani is all up in this challenge because she’s does a hip-hop belly dancing kinda gal; she is all about the movement and was inspired by a characters set of wings from Leap so she’s going to create the butterfly effect using a bold print.

Tim loved her ideas and her fabric choices, and the drama.

WHAT SHE SAID
She’s bouncing down the runway ... everything is beautiful.

WHAT I SAID
I love the colors and the way she crafted the wings to really say ‘butterfly.’

WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Nina says the moment she saw the shadow from behind the runway screen, she knew she loved it. She loved the print, the color and the fluidity. Zac also loved the movement and the idea, but the metallic fabrics were giving him a Flashdance flashback. Heidi is a fan of Burning Man and people wear stuff like that there all the time; she loved the wings, and called it fluid and sexy. Maddie said it was a fashion forward dance piece.
It is clearly down to Brandon and Batani, but who should win: the crisp layered white number, or the flowing butterfly look?

The judges agreed with me, and gave it to Brandon, who finally let out a breath and smiled ... a little.

As for the losers,. I thought it would go down to Kentaro and Kudzanai since Deyonté had already won a challenge, but the judges gave Kentaro a pass because of his execution.

Deyonté, who bled for his look, or Kudzanai, who tossed everything at his piece.

So long Kudzanai.

I loved Tim leaving Mood and spotting Swatch asleep on the floor:
“He looks like a baked potato.”
Total Carlos saying.

Claire and Shawn run around like chickens with their heads cut off, shouting to one another, asking the other for help, breaking tables and falling down. Plus, the little pet names ...

Shawn: “Claire bear?”

Claire: “Shawnee!”

Bob: :::vomit:::

Kudzanai has had it, though he wins Line of the Night:
“The twins are a lot. I wish I was sitting someplace a little quieter.”
Wish granted, alas.

When Margarita is taking her look off her model and stabs her with a pin, causing the model to bleed on the white fabric, I almost changed the name of this post to “Blood On The Dance Floor.” I sensed a theme.

Now, I say this as a gay man, so take that for what it’s worth, but the model Monique is absolutely gorgeous. I want her to wear every designer’s clothes! Ten designers, one model!

I did love how we learned that all of the models have crushes on Brandon; I do, too. But I also find Michael, who has yet to truly shine, kind of adorable as well.

I started this post off by saying something a wee negative about Mr. Gunn, so I’ll end with this: when the judges are looking at Deyonté’s piece and bashing it, Tim reminds them that Deyonté won once already and Zac snaps:
“I know that!”
Zac? Honey? You don’t come for Tim Gunn unless he sends for you, m’kay?

And now, at The Tents: Brandon, Kenya, Amy; and maybe Michael, or Ayana or Batani or Samantha. The twins? No. Margarita? I’m not that impressed. Aaron? I don’t think he has “it.” Deyonté will have to step it up, cut back on the ego, and learn not to hurt himself.

Lastly, I want the twins to go. Still.

What did YOU think?

3 comments:

  1. Need I say that a Swatch Sighting is The Most Important thing! :-)
    So totally agree with the Auf. thanks, as always, for an amazing recap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, my thoughts (I'm pretending someone's interested).

    Duct tape the twins' mouths! Do it now for the sake of the viewers' sanity! Better yet, auf those suckers in a twofer (I keep hoping)!

    I didn't like Brandon's outfit. It looked like his model got mugged in a rainstorm and her trench coat was shredded in the process. I guess I'm too old for fashion.

    Deyonte, I don't care how beautiful an outfit is (this wasn't) no one wants to go around wearing baby poop green. Just ick!

    I liked Batani's best. I understood where Kudzanai was coming from. My balder half visited South Africa about six or seven years ago. He came home with a couple of skirts and tops that were a lot worse than this presentation. They've been in storage for as long as I've had them.

    Lastly, I fast forward thru the twins' talking parts, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell Tim Gunn no-one in the 1500s wore clothes like Brandon's outfit - they'd have been run out of town!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......