Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Architecture Wednesday: Casa Desnuda

Desnuda means bare in English ... nude; so Casa Desnuda is the Bare House, the Raw House, the Nude House. That instantly sparked my interest. Plus, it’s in Merida, Mexico, where I tell Carlos we’ll retire, and where Carlos says, “Why?’

But I digress ..

Casa Desnuda is a small house, well, at least in width; the area is just 21 feet by 90 feet long ... sorta like a New York City townhouse, or a DC row house, so not that wee. But the facade faced west, which is not most encouraging, but that problem was solved by creating a barrier with the services to the west and separating the northern limit of the house, to create what the architect called an “air chimney” to aid in ventilation of a narrow space.

The architects also used passive conditioning elements, like the pool that cools the air before entering the house, and the glass wall to the east that opens or closes the space and controls the flow and the volume of air, and the sliding glass doors into the “air chimney” that create an entrance for the natural light in the north; there is also a plant wall to the west to increase the thermal barrier.

So, while it’s narrow, it’s also quite open; and it’s designed to be cool in every sense of the word.

See, Carlos, this could be our new home?  Casa Nekkid Boys!

6 comments:

  1. casa naked boyz...I could get into that. :)

    so could mistress maddie...and several other boyfriends of mine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to B (young friend studying real estate in Denver) clean the pool
    before taking picture! :-) xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:05 AM

    Any home that starts with the word casa gets my vote. Love the use of concrete and wood and glass.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. A house facing west would be ideal in my opinion; catching the late afternoon and evening sun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That place is breathtaking! I could easily live there. I love the very large doors that completely open to the pool and make it all open air. WOW!

    I'll have a talk with Carlos.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautifully done, but we had friends with a custom-built house of similar style in Connecticut. At first, I loved it but, the more time I spent there, the more I felt like I was in a bunker and needed to escape. They, however, were very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......