Monday, December 21, 2015

After Rajon Rondo Calls Him A Faggot, NBA Referee Bill Kennedy Comes Out

And we have another basketball player who doesn’t like the call against him and goes on a homophobic slur tirade.

The incident happened during the third quarter of game between the Sacramento kings and the Boston Celtics when, after a technical foul shot, Kings player Rajon Rondo walked toward referee Bill Kennedy [photo at top]. He didn’t seem to say anything, but he stared down the ref who then ejected Rondo from the game. This is how Rondo responded:
“You’re a mother**king faggot! You’re a f**king faggot, Billy."
All because of a call he didn’t like.

And, as happens, the story broke, and Rajon Rondo took to Twitter to discuss it … twice:


If anyone thinks any of these Tweets is an apology, you’re wrong. Laming your words on emotion, is not an ‘I’m sorry,’ and whenever someone says, ‘I did not mean to offend,’ that is not an apology either. An apology goes like this: “I’m sorry for what I said. I’m sorry.” And then you shut up.

Now, not that it makes the situation any better or any worse, but it has been known in the NBA that Bill Kennedy is, in fact, a gay man, though he’d never publicly come out.

Until now …
"I am proud to be an NBA referee and I am proud to be a gay man. I am following in the footsteps of others who have self-identified in the hopes that will send a message to young men and women in sports that you must allow no one to make you feel ashamed of who you are." — Bill Kennedy
And, that’s how it’s done. Out of the Hate Speech from Rondo, comes something good from Kennedy, using the moment to tell other gay people mostly younger LGBTQ people, that it’s okay to be okay, to accept yourself and be proud of yourself, and that the words of someone like Rajon Rondo, and his non-apology-apology, shouldn’t hurt.

Well, it kinda hurt Rondo, who was suspended for one game for his homophobic outburst.
And that's probably why he offered up a third apology:
"Yesterday, I said that my words toward Bill Kennedy were unacceptable and did not reflect my feelings toward the LGBT community. Some have interpreted my comments as a non-apology. I want to be clear, from the bottom of my heart that I am truly sorry for what I said to Bill. There is not place on or off the court for language that disrespects anyone's sexual orientation. That is not who I am or what I believe and I will strive every day to be a better person."
Hopefully this will be the last time Rondo utters those words, though, since they fell so easily from his mouth, and since he seemed not to understand how hateful and hurtful they were, I won’t be holding my breath.

But, we here at HOMO HQ will be sending a Coming Out Toaster Oven and a copy of The Gay agenda to Bill Kennedy, who took an ugly situation and made something positive out if it.

Welcome out, Bill, welcome out.
NCRM

3 comments:

  1. xoxoxoxo to Bill Kennedy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, welcome out Bill and thank you! As for Rondo, I hope this really is an opportunity for enlightenment. It's always possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the phrase is "grace under pressure." Well done, Mr. Kennedy. Well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......