Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Architecture Wednesday: A Connecticut Barn

I’ve always aid that I love a good barn, but a barn with an attached silo? Fuggedaboudit.

The original, historic gambrel barn was partially destroyed by a fire, so the owners commissioned architectural firm, Specht Harpman, to reconstruct the exterior, and to redesign the interior for use as a new home.

So, while it still looks like a barn, albeit a new one, on the outside, inside it has become more of an open volume modern, loft-like living space with polished concrete floors, exposed maple framing, and custom woodwork.

Now, to be fair, I tend to like my barns a bit more rustic, a bit more au natural, but this one does have a clean, simple minimal look to it.

Plus, there’s that silo!

via HomeDSGN

2 comments:

  1. Country livin is the life for me, land spreadin so far and wide, keep Manhattan, I'd rather have the countryside! beautiful......and this is a common site here in Bucks County. There is one family that has a barn that looks like the above and it actually has horses in it. Talk about livin in style!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a bit clinical to me. MM lives in Bucks county? The original Bucks county is three miles down the road; Buckinghamshire!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......