Friday, November 07, 2014

I Didn't Say It ...

Tim Cook, Apple CEO, formally coming out as gay:

"While I have never denied my sexuality, I haven’t publicly acknowledged it either, until now. So let me be clear: I’m proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me. Being gay has given me a deeper understanding of what it means to be in the minority and provided a window into the challenges that people in other minority groups deal with every day. It’s made me more empathetic, which has led to a richer life. It’s been tough and uncomfortable at times, but it has given me the confidence to be myself, to follow my own path, and to rise above adversity and bigotry. It’s also given me the skin of a rhinoceros, which comes in handy when you’re the CEO of Apple ... When I arrive in my office each morning, I’m greeted by framed photos of Dr. King and Robert F. Kennedy. I don’t pretend that writing this puts me in their league. All it does is allow me to look at those pictures and know that I’m doing my part, however small, to help others. We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick. This is my brick."

Each of us has a brick to lay on that path for those who come behind.
Jody Hice, “pastor” and newly elected Georgia Congressional wingnut, on the Penn State child abuse sex scandal:

“The whole issue is a morally bankrupt nation is where we are. And you can go back decades as we first kicked the Bible out of schools and then prayer out of schools. And we've just basically been going downhill since then and you get what you get -- you know, you kick God out."

So instead of blaming what happened on now-convicted serial child abuser Jerry Sandusky, or our nation's obsession with football, Hice said it’s all because of God and the Bible?
Oy.
Gareth Thomas, Welsh rugby legend, on how and why he came out as gay:

"I didn't come out because I wanted to be the first person to do it. I came out because I came to the crossroads of living or dying, and that's why I decided to come out. Because I wanted to live. I get stopped, even today, constantly on the street by people I have never met in my entire life, and they'll say to me, 'I Just want to thank you for helping my brother, mother, father, sister, auntie, uncle, because you gave them the strength to be who they want to be...I have won every trophy that I can ever dream of winning but when you affect somebody’s life, in a way that this person is going to have a life that they never thought they could have because of me, stupid old me, because of that they could do that, it’s amazing."

It’s Thomas’ brick on that same path.
David Letterman, on the midterm elections and the Obama bashing on both sides of the aisle:

“This is what happens when we have the midterm elections. The Republicans, of course, have turned against Obama, and the Democrats have also turned against Obama. That’s a lonely, lonely gig being president, ladies and gentlemen. … Take a look at this: gas under $3 a gallon – under $3 a gallon. Unemployment under 6%, whoever thought? Stock market breaking records every day. No wonder the guy is so unpopular.”

Thanks Dave.
Sophia Loren, on giving Jayne Mansfield's dress the side-eye:

"In my face you can see the fear. I’m so frightened that everything in her dress is going to blow — BOOM! — and spill all over the table. There may be other photos, but this is the picture. This is the one that shows how it was. This is the only picture."

A truly iconic picture, and proof that Mansfield was ahead of her time.
That dress would be daring today.

3 comments:

  1. I've always loved that Sophia Loren/Jayne Mansfield photo. Did you know that I was once the president of a Sophia Loren fan club? Of course you didn't (smile) but I was. Right about the time this picture was taken when I was 17 years old. You have your "Miss Ross" and I have my Sophia. You're ahead of me because I never met Sophia in person but I do have an authentic signed photo of her and not from her secretary either. Dvid Letterman is right on the mark. The Dems lost this election because they lacked spine and ran away from Obama and what the Democrats have accomplished. They deserve to lose. It's just a shame that the rest of us, those of us to took the time and effort to vote, have to suffer now that the barbarians are inside the gate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There may be a brick shortage so many people stepping forward.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......