Thursday, July 24, 2014

PR13 Starts Tonight! Meet the Designtestants!

It’s on, bitches!

Season 13 of the Emmy-nominated Project Runway starts tonight at 9PM  — following a Meet The Designers episode — with an all-new group of designers, whiners, fame-whores and back-stabbers. In addition, the PR is adding one former designtestant to the mix via an Instagram vote called #RunwayRedemption.

Fans were able to vote on their favorite designer’s “InstaPortfolio” choosing from Pr12’s Ken Laurance — of the chronic meltdown and general bad attitude — and Alexander Pope, or PR11’s Amanda Valentine. The winner will be revealed tonight and will compete alongside the 18 newbies.

Heidi’s back, of course, as is the delicious Tim Gunn, the always potent Nina Garcia and The Adorable Zac Posen™. As in last season, each week Tim will have one opportunity to “save” a designer from being Auf'd, but elimination will come sooner than expected. In PR 13Ep1 the designers face one final audition before they make it to the actual show. In fact, in Ep 1, three designers will have to pack their knives and go be evicted from the PR house be voted off Designer Island  be Auf’d.

Then, the true 16 must create a look to show judges what their spring collection would like if they should present at New York Fashion Week. 

At the end of the season, the winning designer will receive $100,000 from Red Robin — yes, the restaurant chain — to launch his/her business and the opportunity to design a fashion accessory for all the Red Robin servers, a sewing and crafting studio from Brother International Corporation, a Samsung entertainment center, a fashion spread in Marie Claire and a Lexus.

So, let’s meet the eighteen designers vying for the fifteen slots  …

Alexander Knox

Strengths as a designer? 
My strengths as a designer are my unexpected use of textiles and manipulation of the silhouette.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
My inability to use bright colors is my weakness that I am working hard to overcome.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
I know I can win "Project Runway." I’m bringing the experimental edge this season and through my vision and ambition I will be the last man standing.

My Take: I don't get him, he made Pink Santa skirts but is afraid of bright colors?

Angela Sum

Strengths as a designer? 
Creativity, editing.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
Perfectionism, over-thinking, confidence at times. My brain gets the best of me.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
To be honest, I'm not sure. I believe I have the skills and creativity but there's a lot of tough challenges and I could choke, or just have a bad day and get kicked off. I'm also someone that never likes to get too ahead of myself. So, all I can do is try my hardest and hope for the best.

My Take: She's not sure she can win? Um, sweetie, why are you here then?

Carrie Sleutskaya

Strengths as a designer? 
Fast, open-minded, innovative, communicative, and I can efficiently handle every step of the design process myself. Strengths in structured garments, innovative seaming and fine draping.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
Like most people, I’m always working on time management. I also have to remind myself to not over-design because I have innumerable ideas, but it’s extremely important to know how and when to edit down!

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
I do. I feel I have a lot of interesting design that people want to see more of, and want to see me expand on. I absolutely love playing new levels of seaming, structure and construction and texture and feel it is MY TIME to showcase my point of view and help evolve fashion into a new era. I want people to step into my world and step out as evolved creatures. I’m really open to all aspects of design because although I have my own style, the only way to prove yourself as a versatile designer is to be fearless and willing to test boundaries, especially where you’re not comfortable. I’m aiming to show a glimpse of that through PR.

My Take: BlibbetyBlahBlayBlue time management.

Char Glover

Strengths as a designer? 
Construction and fit.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
Menswear.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
Yes of course! I'm what the fashion world needs: a breath of fresh air. I break all the rules. #RecklessDreamer :)

My Take: One word: menswear.

Emily Payne

Strengths as a designer? 
Great at sewing and draping. Great eye for fabric. Work well with others. Great personal style.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
Sketching/flat pattern.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
Yes! I have the talent, drive, and the best motivation - Devon!

My Take: Doesn't sketch; won't sit well with Tim.

Emmanuel Tobias

Strengths as a designer? 
I am able to execute my vision as a designer with superb quality and knowledge of textiles.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
As a designer I sometimes procrastinate until I feel inspired, but under pressure I feel that I am the most creative.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
YES. I don’t think I would ever audition if I felt I wasn’t ready to WIN. I am a very fierce competitor and I have an exceptional skill level to my craft.

My Take: He says he's really good but he procrastinates. i picture him in the designer's lounge watching Golden Girl marathons while the others sew.

fäde zu grau

Strengths as a designer? 
Inventiveness.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
Maybe time-management...

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
Yes. Maybe because I have a different take on fashion than the designers I compete with.

My Take: why do people who have problems with time management think they can PR where they'll be making a ball gown out of Kleenex in ten minutes?

Hernan Lander

Strengths as a designer?
I am able to process and design from the sketch to final pieces.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
Sometimes it is hard for me choose one single idea. Too many ideas at the same time.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
Yes, because I have a unique style and the experience to win in the competition.

My Take: he'll have lots of things to show Tim but he may not finish one of them.

Jefferson Musanda

Strengths as a designer? 
Great sense of creativity, proportion, and silhouette.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
Could be better at editing down my ideas.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
Of course I do. I not only have the talent I was born with but turned that into a skill, and my drive is unparalleled.

My Take: Glitter and feathers and trims, oh my.

Kiniokahokula Zamora

Strengths as a designer? 
I can sew fast, and I can drape and draft patterns with no book.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
Editing my designs and over-designing.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? Yes I know I could win because I have the skill and drive to be the next top American fashion designer. I have the talent and creativity, and I can bring something no else one has since I'm from Hawaii.

My Take: He can win because he's from Hawaii? File him under Goes Early. 

Korina Emmerich

Strengths as a designer? 
The design process is my strength. Coming up with a concept and idea.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
I’m not the strongest seamstress.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
I wouldn’t be here today if I didn’t believe I was ready to win “Project Runway.” My work is current, interesting and wearable. I design for today’s woman. Strong and confident. I’m ready to take on each challenge that arises during and after the show. I’m not here because I just want to be on TV- I’m not here for my 15 minutes. I’m here to win and that’s my step number 1. This is the opportunity of a lifetime for those of us who don’t have all the connections, who weren’t born into a rich family. The only thing that matters is our skill and drive. I’m so excited to show everyone what’s up my sleeve.

My Take: Talks too much. And she can't sew on the PR??

Kristine Guico

Strengths as a designer? 
Thinking about what’s on trend, knowing where the market is going, thinking out of the box and being original yet still relatable. Knowledge of good quality construction. I also worked in the industry so knowing what is feasible and what can actually be executed from inception to production.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
I can push and design things that are not ready for the general masses and can be too fashion forward to make a profit and meet sales goals. Also, I am interested in so many things that it’s hard to edit or sometimes be cohesive.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
Of course I think I can win, why else would I be here? I think I have the taste and a vision that is only in the start of its great beginnings, yet I also have a knowledge of what is realistic for execution for the real world.

My Take: She designs wack-a-doo. I see issues with Nina.

Nzinga Knight

Strengths as a designer? 
Communicating my ideas, cultural sensitivity, research, pattern-making, sewing, draping, 3D design.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
Estimating how long it will take to complete a garment.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
Yes, I think that when it's my time to win I'll win. When I focus and express my raw and refined talent, am unafraid to be bold and have faith I can do anything.

My Take: Won't finish a garment, but when she does, she'll win? Um, okay?

Samantha Plasencia

Strengths as a designer? 
Separates.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
Evening.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
It's anyone's game, I just have to be sure to push through each challenge.

My Take: The Heidi Red Carpet Look will be her undoing.

Sandhya Garg

Strengths as a designer? 
My ability to face criticism positively, hunger for learning something new every day, respecting others’ work, and fire in my heart to not rest till I fulfill my dreams. (But then my dreams are infinite.)

Weaknesses as a designer? 
I work on my weaknesses to make them my strengths; right now I am working on my styling eye.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
Yes, simply because I live for this. I live for fashion design, to show my work to everyone. Being in "Project Runway" for me is like putting King Kong back in jungle after captivity. I might be struggling through some challenges as I do have my flaws but I have the strongest determination in the group. The phrase “Make it work” could be my first name.

My Take: She works on her weaknesses to make them strengths. Kum-bay-yah ... Taxi!!!

Sean Kelly

Strengths as a designer? 
Vision of the bigger picture and eye for detail.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
Taking on too much work.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"?
I think I can win "Project Runway" because of my unique vision and design abilities.

My Take: Boring. Trite, pat answers.

The Mitchell Perry

Strengths as a designer? 
My strengths as a designer are in my ability to conceptualize and come up with fun, interesting ideas. I am a very strong and effective communicator, and I can work with people very easily, and that can be translated into my work when having to work for people and not just myself.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
Sometimes I get a little caught up in figuring out how to finish a piece, so my finishes could be polished up a bit.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
I wouldn’t have auditioned if I for one second though I could not win. This opportunity isn’t about being on TV for me, it’s about inspiring any person who’s ever felt like they can’t rise and better themselves because of their personal situations. I can win “Project Runway” because I have creativity bursting at the seams and the drive and determination to fight for what I believe in and show really cool fashion. I come from very little, and I have worked so hard to slowly elevate my own quality of living. I am not so narrow minded as to tell you that you won’t find anyone more deserving than me, but I will tell you I can win this, and am prepared to.

My Take: Anyone who dubs themselves The Mitchell Perry is a wingnut, especially when you add in how much he talks about himself.

Tim Navarro

Strengths as a designer? 
My strengths as a designer lay in menswear, my attention to detail and my background as a tailor. I was taught to know the rules before I could break them. If I can’t figure out how do it the right way, I create a path for myself.

Weaknesses as a designer? 
My weaknesses as a designer would probably be working with delicate fabrics, such as silk chiffon, etc. Sometimes my hands don’t move as fast as my brain and it can put me out of sync. I need to be more patient as I work.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"? 
I feel that my background in tailoring lends itself to my success with in the show. I just have to allow my creativity to take control. The rest is just muscle memory.

My Take: His ape hands will ruins bolts of fabric.

Let’s the games begin …

5 comments:

  1. Hey Bob! Face Off on SyFy started this week, too! Looks like we both got something to watch. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2.5 hours tonight! Daughter and I are in PR Heaven. The Engineer has a meeting, he'll be lucky if he gets dinner. (Starts at 5pm on our system out west.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't watched since Christian sarino was on. But by your pictures Carrie has a cool look and should use Ultra Violet has her name. Mitchell is adorable. The only thing he needs to do in my book is bender over and grab those feet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I"m so torn, about to watch or not to watch.....sigh

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......