Friday, March 28, 2014

I Didn't Say It ...

Joe Biden, on ENDA:

"My grandkids, my children, and their kids are going to be shocked, it shocks the conscious that this very moment in American history, in some states, an employer can fire you just because of who you are, or who you love.  It’s close to barbaric.  I mean think about this, a man, no I really mean this.  Imagine, imagine, 20 years from now, as America look back and say how in the hell could that have ever been allowed?   The country’s moved on.  The American people have moved on, it’s time for the Congress to move on, and pass ENDA.  Pass ENDA now.  Not tomorrow, now!"

Seriously, we look so behind the times on this.
Shouldn’t you have a job, and be able to keep a job, based on your job performance and not what you are, color, gender, orientation, age etc?
Franklin Graham, son of anti-gay preacher Billy Graham, on Russia's anti-gay laws:

"Putin is right on (gay) issues... he has taken a stand to protect his nation’s children from the damaging effects of any gay and lesbian agenda. ... Isn’t it sad, though, that America’s own morality has fallen so far that on this issue – protecting children from any homosexual agenda or propaganda – Russia’s standard is higher than our own? ... It's obvious that President Obama and his administration are pushing the gay-lesbian agenda in America today and have sold themselves completely to that which is contrary to God's teaching... Our president and his attorney general have turned their backs on God and His standards, and many in the Congress are following the administration's lead. This is shameful."

Franklin? You douche. Sure it’s easy to talk about the damage of the so-called Gay Agenda — which, by the way, is a one-word agenda: equality — and yet you don’t cite a single example of how gay folks harm children.
Is that because there are no examples? Cuz, if there were, you’d be runnin’ off at the piehole still.
Jack Conway, Kentucky Attorney General, on his refusal to defend the state against a marriage equality lawsuit:

"I felt like that from a fiscal responsibility standpoint, I didn't need to be wasting taxpayer resources in a lawsuit that we weren't going to win or in an appeal that we weren't going to win. For the sake of my daughter's view on my public service in the future, I wanted to be on the right side of history."

Sad that Kentucky’s governor has no problem spending taxpayer money of the defense, which will only be overturned by the Supreme Court … if it ever gets that far.
On a sidenote: he's kind of adorable.
Rick Santorum, on Arizona's "religious freedom" bill and how he would have signed it had he been governor — not realizing he'll never be governor of anything:

"The trunk upon which all other branches of rights flow from is freedom of conscience. If you don't have freedom of conscience, then freedom of speech doesn't mean very much, freedom of assembly doesn't mean anything because you can't speak or do what you believe is right. And what we're seeing is the government increasingly encroaching upon this very sacrosanct area of our Constitution and using all sorts of excuses to suppress people's rights."

Try as I might I cannot find the Freedom of Conscience passage in the Bill of Rights.
But then it’s no surprise, because this is Frothy Mix, who never met a lie he didn’t want to spread.
Anna Wintouron the Kimye cover:

“Part of the pleasure of editing Vogue, one that lies in a long tradition of this magazine, is being able to feature those who define the culture at any given moment, who stir things up, whose presence in the world shapes the way it looks and influences the way we see it. I think we can all agree on the fact that that role is currently being played by Kim and Kanye to a T. (Or perhaps that should be to a K?) As for the cover, my opinion is that it is both charming and touching, and it was, I should add, entirely our idea to do it; you may have read that Kanye begged me to put his fiancée on Vogue’s cover. He did nothing of the sort. The gossip might make better reading, but the simple fact of the matter is that it isn’t true.”

Methinks Anna doth protest too much.
First off, they are not cultural icons; one is a delusional rapper with a god complex, and the other is the former star of a homemade sex tape.
This is about money, and even Anna Wintour knows it, and that’s probably why she didn’t have Kim Kardastrophe on by herself because that wouldn’t sell.
Theo James, co-star of Divergent, on if he thinks we'll ever see an LGBT action star in the near future: 

"It’s very hard to tell because today there are great shows like Looking, poignant pieces of work that revolve around a central cast of characters that happen to be gay. But I remember when Queer as Folk came out and thinking, “Things are changing. Maybe there will be more [shows like this].” And then suddenly there was a drought. Hopefully the day [we have a gay action hero] isn’t far away."

And if we do, could I suggest that maybe we have a gay couple as superheroes, like, um, Hugh Jackman and Theo James?
I’d line up now for that one.
Mark Cuban, Dallas Mavericks owner and Athlete Ally board member, on the possibility of other gay NBA athletes: 

“We already know there’s more gay players in the league. Whether they come out or not is irrelevant. It’s just personal preference. There’s no reason to ever, ever discuss anybody’s sexuality because that’s their private business and there’s no reason to start now.”

Here's the deal: when straight folks stop telling me about their sexuality—as they do every single time they say, This is my girlfriend/boyfriend, This is my wife/husband—then maybe gay folks won’t have to come out because it won’t be a big deal, it’ll just be.
I mean, does Cuban suggest that straight men should stop saying things like, I'm dating this great girl. She's fantastic, just so he won’t have to hear an openly gay guy say, I dating this great guy. He's fantastic.
He certainly isn't suggesting straight folks keep their sexual orientation private because they've never done so and never had to. I don't wanna go back to the closeted days, when a closeted gay guy has to say, I'm dating someone, it's great.
That doesn't work.


4 comments:

  1. One of these days I should buy a copy of Vogue....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,
    The complaint from some straight folks that "Why do you have to discuss your PERSONAL life in front of me?" directed at a gay person always rubs me the wrong way. Just know I'm having that "discussion" (argument) with my brother. He doesn't get it that HE discusses his PERSONAL life with me all the time but God forbid I should say I have a boyfriend. Then I'm "shoving it down his throat" (an unfortunate turn of phrase which he probably doesn't even realize what he's saying). And I continue to discuss my "personal" life, much to the chagrin of some of my "don't get it" straight acquaintances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that Karl Lagerfeld in a wig? Is he editing Vogue now? Buy Vogue.....it's just a crowd of adverts surrounding pictures of stick insects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26793127 thought you'd like to see this

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......