Friday, March 21, 2014

I Didn't Say It ...

Judy Shepard, on the death of Westboro Baptist Church leader Fred Phelps:

"Regarding the passing of Fred Phelps, Dennis and I know how solemn these moments are for anyone who loses a loved one. Out of respect for all people and our desire to erase hate, we’ve decided not to comment further."

That's one classy lady.
And she said exactly what I was thinking; erase hate.
Brenda Haynes, the Sheridan School District Superintendent, once more commenting on the Taylor Ellis story — see my post HERE:

“We must make decisions that lead in the proper direction for all of our students and for our community. We must not make decisions based on demands by any special interest group. The seven profiles will not be published in the yearbook ... It is clear that the adults who have the responsibility for the operation of the district have the obligation to make decisions which are consistent with the mission of our school. We have done so."

I guess the “proper direction” is not gay.
I guess there was no “special interest group” that demanded the gay profile be excised from  the yearbook.
The “adults” make the decision that no one, no one, should read a coming out story.
Asshat.
Dan CathyChick-Fil-A CEO, on how he regrets inserting his company into the marriage equality battle:

"Every leader goes through different phases of maturity, growth and development and it helps by (recognizing) the mistakes that you make. And you learn from those mistakes. If not, you’re just a fool. I’m thankful that I lived through it and I learned a lot from it. Probably the elements that were stressful for me most is from our internal staff and from operators and how this may be affecting them. The bottom line is we have a responsibility here to keep the whole of the organization in mind and it has to take precedence over the personal expression and opinion on social issues."

How sweet. But let’s be queer, Dan Cathy is a bigot and homophobe who uses his religious beliefs—not the “judge not lest ye be judged” part, or the “God is love” part—to deny same-sex couples the legal right to marry.
He can stop giving his money to anti-LGBT groups but he’s still a bigot, and the chicken still tastes like hate.
Ben Carson, Teabagistan hero, on political correctness:

"We are very much like Nazi Germany. And I know you’re not supposed to say ‘Nazi Germany,’ but I don’t care about political correctness. You know, you had a government using its tools to intimidate the population. We now live in a society where people are afraid to say what they actually believe. And it’s because of the PC police, it’s because of politicians, it’s because of news. All of these things are combining to stifle people’s conversation. The reason that is so horrible is because the only way you have harmony and reach a consensus is by talking. But if, in fact, people are afraid to talk, you never reach consensus. And instead you grow further and further apart. And that’s exactly what’s happening, creating a horrible schism that will destroy our nation."

I find it funny that Carson doesn’t see that if this were, in fact, some kind of Nazi Germany state, he wouldn’t be able to say what he just said about the government without repercussions.
Asshat.
Lance Bass, on his love for the state of Mississippi, and changing hearts and minds in a new video for Southerners for Freedom to Marry:

"When we [Bass and fiance Michael Turchin] go out as a gay couple here in Mississippi. You don't feel what everyone says is going on down here in the South. People accept it so much better and they just see 'oh, that's cool. we like them together. They're really sweet.' We feel the love coming from them anyway, and the support. We just have to show them what being gay is. And that's being completely normal, and nothing different from that straight marriage over there."

Well, I kind of agree, though people in the South will most likely, if they disagree with you or your “homosexual lifestyle” smile at your face, then work against you once your back is turned.
The tide is changing, even here  in the South, but, again, let’s be queer, we’ve got a long way to go.
Madonna, on her new skin care line:

"I've spent hours on it. Months on it. Years on it. Creation. Essence. Alchemy. Transformation. Substance. Connections. Revolutions. Magic. Immortal."

The substance is Botox; the magic is fillers; the immortal is the blood of ten thousand virgins.
I love the idea of a woman who’s had her skin pulled so tight by chemical, and maybe surgical, methods creating a skin care line.
It’s the height of hypocrisy! It’s Madonna!
Michael Sam, in open letter to the University of Missouri:

“From my first recruiting trip to the University of Missouri, I felt something extraordinary and special — something I didn't feel anyplace else. I didn't have a name for it then; I do now. It's called family. And to me that family is defined by unconditional love. … Certainly you cheered my successes, but you also picked me up when I fell. Maybe most importantly, you gave me a chance to live my truth without judgment, without hesitation and with great discretion and respect. … When I came out last month, I did it with the confidence that my Mizzou ‘family’ would always be there for me. To put it mildly, the love and acceptance I felt was amazing. The day after the announcement, my name was spelled out in the stadium; fraternities hung #StandWithSam banners; then when I went to the basketball game to honor the football team's Cotton Bowl victory, I worked hard not to cry because of the amazing reception. … I have a long journey ahead of me, a lot of hard work and many dreams I want to fulfill. But I do it with the confidence that my Mizzou family will be there for me every step of the way. I will continue to work my hardest; I will strive to make you all proud. And I will be a Tiger forever.”

That’s all. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, classy lady, Judy Shepard.

    (Madonna - stop the clinging to youth and acting the Miley. You'll scare the beegeebus out of your grandchildren someday or your next boy friend.)

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......