Friday, March 07, 2014

I Didn't Say It ...

Blake Skjellerup, on being at one of Jason Collin’s first games as an openly gay player:

"In the space of 30 seconds, I saw one of the greatest things about sport, and something I had always believed existed, but never witnessed. The gentleman beside me was not the only person calling out 'Jason Collins.' As I think about it now, the goosebumps I felt last night re-appear. An arena full of people, calling and chanting the name of a player who is undoubtedly one of the most well-known athletes in the world, who is in a professional sport, and is gay. As Jason took to the court, the crowd, myself included, took to our feet. The applause and cheering that followed was something I will never forget. As a 16-year-old I longed for a role model and visible identity like Jason Collins. Now, as a 28-year-old, I was a part of something that showed the greatness of sport, and also, the greatness of humanity."

Odd, isn’t it, that the media and the owners and some players made this a big deal when it really wasn’t?
Michele Bachmann, Crazy-eyed wacknut Republican Congresswoman from Minnesota, upset that Jan Brewer vetoed Arizona’s anti-gay 'religious freedom' bill:

“I believe that tolerance is a two-way street, and we need to respect everyone's rights, including the rights of people who have sincerely held religious beliefs,...Religious liberties and the protection of our religious liberties is right...Right now, there's a terrible intolerance afoot in the United States, and it's against people who hold sincerely held religious beliefs.”

Isn’t it funny how she talks about the two-way street and how The Gays should be tolerant of religious people denying us service in their publicly run businesses, but she doesn’t apply that same tolerance the religious folks?
How she can say idiotic things while talking out of both sides of her ass is the height of hilarity.
And stupidity.
Shannon Bream, FoxNews talking Blond Bimbo, on the controversy over Arizona's SB 1062:

"This is America. We all have freedoms. Why would you want to do business with somebody — no matter what your personal issue was that they had with you — why would you want to force them to do business with you? Why not just go down the street and say I'm going to spend my money with somebody who supports me, and is kind to me, and wants to help me and provide these services for me?"

Sounds good. So, let’s have businesses put signs in their windows saying who is welcome and who is not. I mean, we did it fifty years ago with Black grocers and White grocers; separate drinking fountains; whites only theater seats.
And that worked just fine, right Shannon?
And maybe someone can put up a sign saying they refuse service to FoxNews airheads who can’t find their asses with both hands. But then, where oh where, would Shannon Bream go?
Deion Sanders, former NFL player Deion Sanders, on gays in football:

"He's not the first gay guy in the NFL! He's the first one to come out, let's get that straight. Every team I've played on, there was someone...we always knew. But he was cool. That was our boy. We had to look out for him. Every team I've played on - five different teams - there was someone gay in the locker room."

Seriously. Does anyone really believe that Michael Sam would be the first gay player? i mean, there have been gay players, closeted gay players, before him, and you cannot think the team didn't know about them.
Good on Deion, but then...
Deion Sanders, putting his foot in his mouth:

"I don't nor do I condemn, but I've had a friend, family members... Everyone out there, you've had someone of homosexuality in your family — and someone whose on drugs and alcohol. How can I judge them? It's up to me to give him love, to give him support, to just be there for him. So I don't condone nor I condemn. But I'm gonna love him. Everybody in the NFL is always talking about football as a family but when you have the opportunity to really extend and show them that you're a family member, this is the opportunity."

'Someone of homosexuality'? What the hell does that mean? And then why go on to say smoothing about people on drugs and alcohol as if being gay is like being a drunk or drug addict.
I think Deion should have stopped talking a minute or so ago.
Clayton Morris, FoxNews Host, apologizing for remarks he made while commenting on Facebook's recently-added gender identity options:

“Look, I made a pretty ignorant statement a few weeks ago, we were talking about the Facebook story where they added the bunch of different gender-identifying things. And I made sort of an offhanded comment and I regretted it later because now, ‘Wait a second. There are people who are actually dealing with this and I’m an idiot for saying something stupid like that.’ So before you open your mouth, just think about it a little bit.”

Wow. A FoxNews host actually apologized for saying something stupid and still has his job? Maybe he should have a sit-down with Shannon and set her queer.
Steve King, Iowa Republican Congressman, ISBL Asshat of the Week, and all-around moronic bigot and homophobe, on Jan Brewer's veto of Arizona's SB 1062:

"When you’re in the private sector and you’re an individual entrepreneur with God-given rights that our founding fathers defined in the Declaration, you should be able to make our own decisions on what you do in that private business. … That’s what they’re trying to protect is special rights for self-professed behavior. … If it’s not specifically protected in the Constitution, then it’s got to be an immutable characteristic, that being a characteristic that can be independently verified and cannot be willfully changed.”

Oh Steve, you spend so much time trying to bash the gays one wonders if you aren’t just a self-loathing closeted homosexual yourself trying to keep the attention off of you.
First off, owning a business isn’t a ‘God given right.’ It’s a business.
Secondly. We aren’t asking for special rights, we’re asking for equality. Got it?
Thirdly, if you wanna verify homosexuality does that mean you wanna have sex with guys, because it sounds suspiciously like a Craig’s List ad to me:
“Lonely Iowa Congressman needs to verify homosexuality.”
Sit down, Steve, and stay down.
George Will, on Arizona’s failed Don’t Serve The Gays Bill: 

"It's a funny kind of sore winner in the gay rights movement that would say, 'A photographer doesn't want to photograph my wedding—I’ve got lots of other photographers I could go to, but I'm going to use the hammer of government to force them to do this.'... It's not neighborly and it's not nice. The gay rights movement is winning. They should be, as I say, not sore winners."

But if we want a photographer to do his job, his business, his work, then why should we go elsewhere?
It’s a business, George, and it’s discrimination for a business owner to deny services based on sexual orientation. Again, I wonder how people like George Will would act if a gay business owner refused service to conservatives and Republicans and Teabaggers and all the other wingnuts.
George would get his granny pants all kinds of twisted.
John Travolta, on the Adele Dazim/Idina Menzel kerfuffle at the Oscars:

"I've been beating myself up all day. Then I thought ... what would Idina Menzel say. She'd say, Let it go, let it go! Idina is incredibly talented and I am so happy Frozen took home two Oscars Sunday night!"

Actually, Idina Menzel might wonder how a grown man, who professes to be a big show queen, and who came to Oscar rehearsals and who read his scripted patter, could eff up her name so badly.
Idina Menzel night wonder if your face was too Frozen or if your new rug was too tight.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the warm and fuzzy feelings re Blake Skjellerup's report of the basketball game and Jason Collins. :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I make wedding cakes how does it hurt me who my customers are? It would irritate me selling a cake to Bachman, but if I'm in business to make a profit then I surely I'll sell even to the wingnuts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:59 PM

    When do we get to put EX in front of Crazy-eyed wacknut Republican Congresswoman from Minnesota?

    You know those riddles where the answer turns out to be the teller of the riddle? Dion, you were on all those 5 teams. Just say'n.

    John messing up Idina's name got her more publicity then her performance or immense talent would have.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......