Friday, December 13, 2013

I Didn't Say It

Edith Windsor, on being considered one of Time magazines People of the Year:
"I am honored that Time chose me as one of the number 3 individuals in the top 5 nominees for ‘Person of the Year,’ but I am just one person who was part of the extraordinary and on-going fight for marriage equality for all our families. There are thousands of people who helped us come this far and we still have a lot more work to do. The gay community is my ‘person of the year’ and I look forward to continuing to fight for equal rights and educate the public about our lives alongside my gay brothers and sisters and our allies. Thea would be thrilled, proud and so happy to see what we have all accomplished together."

For me, Edith is like a gay Rosa Parks.
She stood up and refused to back down because she wanted to be treated equally in this country, as is her right.
Her fight might have begun just for her but it ended up rewarding us all.
Michelangelo Signorile, on the twenty year age difference between new couple Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black:
"Let's cut the ageist crap. The 'yuk' is a display of nothing but disgust for someone older. Yes, [Dustin Lance] Black is old enough to be [Tom] Daley's father. But he's not. If Black were just a couple of years older than Daley, he could be his brother too. But he's not. Shocking news for you: You're all going to be old. And your tastes are going to evolve over time. Some younger people are attracted to older people, and vice versa. There's even a gay website called Daddyhunt. The famed novelist Armistead Maupin's 27-years-younger husband, Christopher Turner, founded it. They met on another one of Turner's sites, HotOlderMale.com. If that's not your thing, it's totally cool, but in that case just shut your mouth."

Will it last? Ain’t my biz’ness. Is Dustin Lance too old, or Tom too young? Ain’t my biz’ness.
Like Signorile says, if it ain’t your thing, don’t do it, but don’t denigrate another couple’s relationship because you don’t like it. We ought to celebrate these two men finding one another because love is a good thing.
Beau McCoy, Nebraska state Senator and Republican contender for governor, on blocking benefits for same-sex Nebraska couples legally married in other states:
"Make no mistake, every time same-sex couples get the same recognition as a married couple, the Nebraska Constitution and the will of Nebraskans gets undermined. The people of Nebraska spoke out loud and clear. As governor, I will not allow the institution of marriage or our constitution to be attacked by expanding state benefits to state employees in same-sex relationships who get married in other states."

And you probably won’t get elected because of your bassackward views.
John Scarpa, attorney for Rasheen Everett, who was found guilty of the murder of transgender prostitute Amanda Gonzalez-Andujar:
"A sentence of 25 years to life is an incredibly long period of time, judge. Shouldn’t that be reserved for people who are guilty of killing certain classes of individuals? Who is the victim in this case? Is the victim a person in the higher end of the community? Amanda was engaged in a life of prostitution, life of drug use, HIV exposure. She was having sex with other individuals knowing she had the chance of spreading diseases."

So, in Scarpa’s mind, it was a good thing she was murdered?
I guess that means we should all be able to go out and kill people in certain classes who somehow deserve to die.
PS The judge sentenced his client to 29 years in jail.
Ass.Hat.
Kanye West, the gift that keeps on giving, on the dangers of being a rap artist:
“Like, I’m just giving of my body on the stage; I’m putting my life at risk, literally! I think about when I’m on the ‘Can’t Tell Me Nothing,’ and ‘Coldest Winter’ moment, like that mountain [a prop on stage] goes really, really high. And if I slipped … You never know. And I think about it, I think about my family and I’m like, ‘Wow.’ … This is like, being a police officer or something, in war or something.”

Yes, being an ego-maniacal, self-involved, self-entitled, delusional, maybe gay, rap star with a Jesus complex, performing on stage is the same thing as being a police officer protecting citizens, or military personnel protecting our country.
Wow.
Rick Warren, megachurch “pastor”, on marriage equality:
"I think historically, around the world, the vast majority of people would say marriage means one man and one woman in a commitment. Don't take a term and make it something different. Orwell talked about doublespeak, where words mean the exact opposite of what they used to mean. I cannot see [Christians supporting full equality for LGBT citizens] happening in my life. I fear the disapproval of God more than I fear your disapproval or the disapproval of society."

Historically, we also believed one time in the rights of men to physically own other human beings. Historically, and biblically, we believed that marriage made the wife a possession of the man; that the wife was property; that marriage was a power play or a land grab.
Things change, Ricky, and Christians will change and leave you standing on the side of the road spouting your bigotry.
Damian Lewis, of Showtime’s Homeland, apparently throwing shade at Sir Ian McKellen—though he doesn’t mention McKellen by name:
“[I didn't want to end up] as one of those slightly over-the-top, fruity actors who would have an illustrious career on stage, but wouldn’t start getting any kind of film work until I was 50 and then start playing wizards.”

Okay, really Damian? Fruity? Isn’t there a better gay slur to use? Was fag or queer not an option?
You’re a dick and we’ll see what happens to your career after Homeland which, by the way, is the only reason we know you while McKellen is known for much more than being a ‘wizard’.
Gods and Monsters, to name just one brilliant role.
Sir Ian McKellen, openly gay gentleman and actor, responding to Lewis’ remarks:
“So he feels sorry for me, does he? Well, I’m very happy, he needn’t worry about me. To rebut it, I wouldn’t like to have been one of those actors who hit stardom quite early on and expected it to continue and was stuck doing scripts that I didn’t particularly like just to keep the income up. I’ve always wanted to get better as an actor. And I have got better. You’ve only got to see my early work to see that. As for a fruity voice? Well, it may be a voice that is trained like an opera singer’s voice: to fill a large space. It is unnatural.”

Snap.
Get back to me, Damian, when you have half the career of McKellen.
Damian Lewis, apparently sober ... I kid ... apologizing to Ian McKellen:
"I am hugely embarrassed that comments of mine have been linked in a negative way to Sir Ian McKellen. I have always been, and continue to be, an enormous fan and admirer of Sir Ian's. He's one of the greats and one of the reasons I became an actor. My comment in the Guardian was a soundbite I've been giving since 1999 – it was a generic analogy that was never intended to demean or describe anyone else's career. I have contacted Sir Ian McKellen and have given him my sincerest apologies."

Generic? The “playing a wizard”: reference was fairly specific.
But at least it was kind of an apology. 

4 comments:

  1. Damian Lewis better watch out, lest he gets turned into a toad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I am reminded again of the Arrogance of the Straights who don't even realize they're being asshats with their casual remarks on their superiority over The Gays. They are and will continue to be on the losing side of history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beau mc coy looks like he sucks big ones on the DL.

    john scarpa looks like he should join beau mc coy.

    kanye should just disappear; WTF was THAT paragraph all about? is he on drugs?

    and rick warren needs to shut his stoopid ass pie hole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone who wears a bow-tie to work is a twazzock (unless they are a Maitre d' or an opera singer).

    Is Kanye West mentally ill?

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......