Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Listen, Charice Pempengco Comes Out

She is best known, up to now, for playing Sunshine Corazon on "Glee," a foreign exchange student from the Philippines, and a little singing dynamo at that, but now Charice Pempengco has taken another big step and come out as a lesbian.

It all happened when she was being interviewed on a Filipino talk show and the host, Boy Abunda, asked if she was gay. Charice responded in her native language, Tagalog, ‘Yes, I am.’
"I have deep gratitude for the Filipinos because they are the ones who know who I really am. I don't know what the problem is because for me, there is no problem with that. So now I ask for forgiveness from those who don't understand. And those who cannot accept. I apologize, I understand you. To those who accept, and who could accept me, thank you very, very much. I just want to say to all of you that I feel very light -- that I can leave the house knowing I am not hiding anything. ... I love myself, that's why I'm able to do this."
Those last couple of lines ring so true; that feeling of lightness you get from lifting that burden of being closeted about your sexual orientation. When you reveal all you are, every piece of you, you seem to stand taller and smile wider, and be happier.

Congratulations, Charice, and Welcome Out.

Naturally, a copy of The Gay Agenda and the obligatory Coming Out Toaster Oven will be winging their way to you from HOMO HQ.

Welcome Out, Charice, welcome out.

1 comment:

  1. I am a bad popular culture follower - never watched Glee. Maybe still recovering from a choir teacher who was a bit whacko - would have gotten in huge trouble now-a-days.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......