Friday, May 10, 2013

Random Musings .... Delayed from Yesterday

First off, it might seem gauche to some, but my sister would love that I used a logo from The Big for this post.
Secondly, but more importantly, thanks for all the good wishes, thoughts and positive energy regarding my sister's cancer diagnosis.
She is in a much better place in her head today. She works at the hospital where she's being treated so she knows her doctor--and loves her doctor, and knows the team of nurses as well. All this helps keep a positive attitude.
Today she is having a biopsy to determine more about the mass. Through tears and sobs yesterday, I thought she said the cancer was in her leg, but it appears it's in her lymph nodes.
Later today we'll know more, but I just wanted to say thanks for the positive energy.

Thanks Delaware.
I admit I am a Cher queen, but even I was leery of the Lifetime Special, Dear Mom, Love Cher, because I thought it would be a cheesy televised Mother’s Day card to Georgia Holt, Cher’s 86-year-old, and still gorgeous mother.
Turns out I was wrong.
Georgia was, is, one of those people who’ve lead an amazing life; done all sorts of things, been married six times and yet her most successful relationship has been with a man she chose not to wed.
All kinds of great stories in the show, but my favorite was when Georgia Holt’s agent sent her on an audition for a film and told her that she needed to pad her bra because the producers were looking for a little va-va-voom.
So, she padded, and off she went. The audition went well, and she got the part. But a week went by and she hadn’t heard from the production, so she called her agent and asked why.
‘They went with another girl.’
‘But you said I got the part.’
‘Well, they liked this other girl better. Do you know her? Marilyn Monroe?’
It was an audition for The Asphalt Jungle, Marilyn’s first big role.
But, you gotta wonder what it might have done for Georgia Holt. Would we know her today as Cher’s mom, or would we know Cher as Georgia’s daughter?
I also get a giggle from the One Million Moms [OMM] mainly because, according to their Facebook page, their numbers are closer to 50,000. But I mostly giggle because they boycott everything, and everyone. For a while it was JC Penneys and Ellen DeGeneres, and now it Norelco and ‘manscaping’:
The new Norelco commercial goes beyond a close facial shave to body grooming well below the chest and back. This commercial went WAY TOO FAR! During the commercial, it shows a man trimming hair in different areas of his body. Toward the end, it shows him standing with his boxer shorts down with hair falling to the floor as he uses the hair trimmer. It is implied that he is shaving in his private area. The dialogue in the ad is equally offensive. "I'd wink at me; I'd hug me," he says. Then he looks in the mirror, admires himself, and says, "I'd F*** me." The F-word is bleeped out. But then they display their website, www.IdFAQme.com. This is clearly a play on the F-word. The excuse Philips Norelco gave by phone was equally dismissive, saying, "We are trying to reach a certain audience and would pass along these concerns." Their response isn't good enough. The ad shouldn't run at any time. It is not only inappropriate for children; it is offensive to adults also. The company's response to people's concerns is in poor taste.
The OMM really needs to get a sense of humor. And, well, about 950,000 more Moms.
So, the jury in Arizona found Jody Arias guilty of First Degree murder for killing her boyfriend by shooting him in the head and the stabbing him so many times she nearly cut off his head.
Good. Bye.
But, in the instant after the verdict was read, Jody Arias gave an interview to Fox News and said she hopes she gets the death penalty because death would be like freedom.
Now, as I posted HERE, I am staunchly anti-death penalty and she’s the perfect example. She gets what she calls her ‘freedom’ because she’ll be dead, so wouldn’t the greatest punishment of all be to send her away for life, without hope of parole EVER, and let her stew in a cell all day every day because she murdered someone?
I hope the jury gives her life, and I hope she has a long one, filled with regrets.
Out there in Minnesota the legislature appears poised to legalize same-sex marriage. The Democratic Speaker of the House said that a marriage equality bill, endorsed by the governor and likely to pass in the state Senate also now has enough backing in his chamber.
The House will vote on the measure today, and if it passes, the Democratic-led Senate could vote on it as soon as Saturday. The Senate’s 73-member Democratic majority will produce at least the 68 votes needed to pass the bill.
C’mon Minnesota, be # 12!
UPDATE: It passed! On to the Senate and then the Governor's desk!
The New Yorker salutes 'Mothers' Day' on its upcoming cover with cover art by illustrator Chris Ware, who says:
Now that the numbers are in on same-sex marriage, many Republicans are falling like dominos all over themselves to express their support for something that only a few months ago they steadfastly claimed to stand against. They’ll probably soon claim that this is how they felt all along, and they were simply too hamstrung by politics to be able to say what they really meant.
Well, okay. In the spirit of openheartedness and what life is really all about, I’ll go so far as to say that the fear of others may mask some deep-seated desire to understand, and maybe even to love. Because really, what is there to be afraid of?
Few people today don’t know—or have in their families—at least one loving couple who are raising children, same-sex or not. And it’s really just the loving part that matters. That same-sex marriage could go from its preliminary draft of “diagnosable” to the final edit of “so what?” must indicate some positive evolution on the part of the larger human consciousness.
My wife, being a biology teacher, puts it even more succinctly: “Why are all these people so worried about who everybody else is sleeping with, anyway?” (Score two for Moms.)
Happy Mother’s Day to all Moms, the two Mom families, the one Mom families, and the Mons in the Mom and Dad families.
Zachary Quinto at the Met Ball this week.
I have had a crush on him before I knew he was gay, though I do have a question, Zachary.
Does the carpet match the drapes?
I saw this on Joe.My.God. and he saw it on Boy Culture:
Manhunt reports that "Hey Guys" is the most popular profile header in all but one state. That one exception is Connecticut, where "Looking For A Top" is most frequently used.
Apparently all the bottoms live in Connecticut.
So, three cheers for the Cleveland hero, Charles Ramsey.
You know, the guy that helped rescue the three girls who’d been kidnapped and held in a house for the last ten years.
I love a good story.
What I don’t love, though, is how, now, the media is searching for every detail of Charles Ramsey’s life, especially the dirt, and are gleefully reporting it.
Isn’t it enough that he helped those girls escape? Why do we build someone up as a hero and then instantly begin to tear him down.
I, myself, am avoiding the negative press and focusing on the positive.
Thanks Mister Ramsey. You are a hero because you’re just a regular guy that did an exceptional thing.
Oh GOP voters in South Carolina.
Look what you’ve done to the rest of the country because you’re too locked in to voting Republican. Seriously, I don’t wanna hear one complaint from you when he screws up again and again and again and again and ….
Carolyn Moos, you know, the woman who was engaged to formerly closeted Jason Collins? The woman who then took her story to the media and talked about how she didn’t know and never suspected and maybe he lied to her and blahblahblah?
That girl?
Now she plans on writing a book about her relationship with Collins and is soliciting questions from the public so she can answer them in print and make a nice tidy profit off her ALLEGED embarrassment.
I have a question, Carolyn: why don’t you shut up? Why don’t you take the high road and not try to score a payday off your personal life?
Coming out is a struggle that all gay folks face, and some of us do it early on, and some of try and try and try to fit into what society tells us we should.
That’s what Jason did; he struggled. In fact, he says, of your relationship: “When I was younger I dated women. I even got engaged. I thought I had to live a certain way. I thought I needed to marry a woman and raise kids with her. I kept telling myself the sky was red, but I always knew it was blue.”
And you want to profit off of it.
Seriously, shut up.
Lots of Gays have had a crush on Zac Efron for years.
Not me.
I thought he looked a little too pretty [read: girly] when he was younger and then he went through a face where he looked a little steroid-y.
Then I saw that picture.
Um, I’m on board now.
I will now admit that I have been watching American Idol this season, mostly because of wack-a-doodle Nicki Minaj and all her craziness that I love. I still giggle at the time that she and Mariah were having a slight disagreement and Nicki said, to Mariah, “Simmer down, sir.”
But, more than Nicki, I watch because of Candice Glover, and not just because she’s from South Carolina. It’s because she’s a beautiful woman with an incredible voice and last night, her rendition of ‘Somewhere’ brought tears to my eyes.
If she doesn’t win this thing, well, then I might go Nicki on yo asses.

TWEET OF THE WEEK:

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:48 PM

    I heard about the Robin Williams tweet. That is hilarious and true!

    Can you believe Lifetime is ALREADY filming the Jodi Arias movie and it does NOT have JLH in it? I thought she'd be a shoo-in for that role since they look alike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're damn right, robin! kash kow looks like she's wrapped in my grandmom's too-small-for-kk's-fat-ass-and-gut bedspread.

    hey 1M moms: if this commercial was about WOMEN shaving the carpet, would you be as angry? douchebags!

    personally, I don't think "the big c" is gauche; it is what it is. and if ya can't laugh about a serious condition, you might as well shuffle off right now. this cancer survivor believes in laughter! :) so did gilda radner. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen the Spock vs Spock car commercial? We loves it!
    http://www.geekosystem.com/spock-vs-spock-car-ad/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the OMM need to get a reality check about just how "important" they really are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I missed the post about your sister. Sending more positive energy.

    Zac Efron: It's funny how perfectly coiffed he is and how strategically and carefully adjusted are his shirt and sweats for a "candid" shot while playing basketball. Yes, nice to look at, but please! (But maybe I'm just jealous.)

    I'm beginning to wonder if One Million Moms is a [small] comedy troop.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......