Thursday, April 18, 2013

Random Musings

Boston, our hearts are with you, but after seeing this video, I get the feeling that you're gonna be just fine. See, at last night's Bruins game--the first since Monday--Rene Rancourt, who has been singing the National Anthem there for more than 40 years, began to sing, but stopped as the crowd took over.
Excuse me while I wipe away a tear.


On the down-side of that, one Erik Rush, obvious wack-nut and FauxNews contributor, decided this was the Tweet he wanted to send out.
After many folks called him on his idiocy, Rush said he was being sarcastic.
Yes, in America, asking to 'kill them all' is considered sarcasm.
You always hear people talk about America! land of the Free! Home of the Brave! The Good Old US of A! We're Number One!
And yet, on the face of it, at least in terms of marriage equality, we are so far behind the rest of the world. We usually lead the way, but on this issue we're sitting on our hands.
This week New Zealand became the 13th country in the world to legalize same-sex marriage when a bill to amend the current marriage law was approved by the country’s Parliament in its third and final reading.
Now, same-sex and transgender couples will be allowed to marriage in the NZ beginning in August, and same-sex couples who married overseas will also be able to have their marriage officially recognized in New Zealand. People watching from the public gallery immediately broke into singing a New Zealand anthem in the indigenous Maori language.
New Zealand becomes the first Asia-Pacific country to legalize marriage equality for same-sex couples and the effect on the transgender community is enormous; used to be, married transsexual people were forced to divorce when they change their gender, but they will no longer be required to do so.
New Zealand follows in the footsteps of Uruguay. who also voted to legalize same-sex marriage, making the South American country the third in the Americas to do so and the United States is still sitting on its hands.
I am not a baseball nut, though I kinda follow it, a little, occasionally, some of the time. I like attending a game, though it's been a while--the last time was when we lived in Miami and went to a Marlins game.
But, there is something about hearing a baseball game on the radio that takes me back. I was driving along the other day, minding my own business, flipping through stations, when i came upon a game, and suddenly I was transported back to the Oakland Coliseum, watching a game with my family. I could smell the stadium, and the fans,m and feel the excitement in the air.
TV games don't do that for me, but somehow, hearing a game on the radio always takes me home. Plus, I was hungry for a Coliseum Colossus, a giant hot dog on a sour dough roll with mustard and sauerkraut.
Y-U-M.
I heard a story this week about a police officer, Ron King of Port Canaveral Police Department  in Florida, who was fired after it was learned that he was using a Trayvon Martin cut-out in target practice.
Yes, he decided to shoot at the photo of a murdered boy.
Only in America, but, hey, that's his right, I guess.
Just ask the cowards in the US Senate.
King has apologized to Trayvon's family for his asshattedness which he explains away as using the Trayvon target as a 'no-shoot' example.
How about not using the image of murdered people as targets Ron? That thought ever crossed your mind? 
'Memba when the GOP had their asses handed to them in November? they were all Mittsy's gonna win! Obama's finished!
And then they woke up. And they they talked about rebranding the party, changing their image, becoming more inclusive.
And, to that end, the Republican National Committee has unanimously voted to approve 12 resolutions, including one reaffirming the party's opposition to same-sex marriage.
The GOP. Some things never change, no matter how much they promise.
So, we have this faucet in the kitchen that is probably original to the house. And it's an odd little number. It has the actual tap right there where it should be, but the lever which one would use to turn the water on and off is situated on the far right corner of the sink[ separate from the actual faucet. Yes, the lever is not actually part of the faucet, but, hey, it worked, and we learned to live with it. Until ... one morning this past week Carlos muttered the phrase, We have a problem! The tap on the kitchen sink broke!
I said, We'll have to get it fixed. 
I'm smart as a whip like that.
But Carlos said, We can just use these pliers to turn it on and off with, though.
And suddenly I'm in an episode of Green Acres, and my name is Lisa Douglas, and I'm wearing a marabou-trimmed negligee and climbing a telephone poll to make a phone call.
Not gonna happen.
Carlos, though, then suggest we call a handyman to install a new faucet, and I suggest that maybe we do it ourselves.
Carlos: Not unless you want a divorce!
Bob: What does that mean?
Carlos: I have two word for you: dining room lamp.
Bob: Um, that's three words, but I get your meaning.
I nearly killed Carlos when we put in the lamp over the dining table because the man never saw a book of instructions he wanted to read.
End of story, though: we bought a new faucet, and we installed it ourselves and no one was hurt during the process.
You can teach old gay dogs a new trick.
We watched Total Recall with Colin Farrell the other night. Colin Farrell. Shirt off. Adorable. Shirt. Off.
Plus, it was more sci-fi and less stupid cartoon than the Schwarzenegger version.,
Plus, Colin Farrell, shirt off.
Also back on is The Borgias, though after Jeremy irons idiotic comments about incestuous father-son relationships if marriage equality becomes law, I almost didn't watch.
But then I remembered ..... Francois Arnaud plays Cesare.
And I'm back in.
Brittney Griner, the  three-time All-America center at Baylor, and will soon be playing for the Phoenix Mercury, has come out as a lesbian:
"It really wasn't too difficult, I wouldn't say I was hiding or anything like that. I've always been open about who I am and my sexuality. So, it wasn't hard at all. If I can show that I'm out and I'm fine and everything's OK, then hopefully the younger generation will definitely feel the same way."
And she said this, about why there's a difference between acceptance of gays in men's versus women's sports:
"I really couldn't give an answer on why that's so different. Being one that's out, it's just being who you are. Again, like I said, just be who you are. Don't worry about what other people are going to say, because they're always going to say something, but, if you're just true to yourself, let that shine through. Don't hide who you really are."
Welcome out, Brittney, and please accept as our Coming Out gift, a copy of The Gay Agenda and the Official HOMO HQ Coming Out Toaster Oven.
Welcome out!

TWEET OF THE WEEK:

5 comments:

  1. that's only 1 reason why I listen to baseball on the radio; I get to use my mind and my imagination. plus our mail announcer is a drop dead DILF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. None of the resident children played baseball but neighborhood tribe members did so we spent a lot of time in the stands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the New Zealand Parliament announced the results on Marriage Equity it was a member of the public gallery that broke into a rendition of Traditional Maori Love Song. The whole chamber including the politicians joined in with the celebrtory singing including the second verse of the son in their rendition.
    You can watch it here
    Listening to it bought tears to my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:53 PM

    I saw that Bruins national anthem on NHL Tonight last night. It was a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must have missed the email,

    Article 3;27: "It is forbidden for gay men to have anything to do with indoor plumbing."

    So let it be written...

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......