Friday, April 26, 2013

I Didn't Say It ....

Kurt Warner, former NFL Quarterback and devout Christian, on gay players in the NFL:
"It's unfortunate that if there were individuals that felt they couldn't be who they were in an NFL locker room or because of the nature of the game that's a detriment to our society and to what we did in the National Football League or in football in general. I'm interested to see what happens because it is an interesting culture when you're talking about a 'man's sport' or a 'man's game' and how that is all gonna be construed, but I hope that the NFL and football in general, and sports in general accepts it the way that they should accept it and be able to move forward. We should never stand in the way of people being who they are and allowing that to affect their career."

More and more past and present players are coming out for the openness of a gay player.
It's going to happen, sooner, rather than later.


Reese Witherspoon, apologizing after being arrested this week for disorderly conduct [Reese gave the officer the ‘Do you know my name? You're about to find out who I am. You're about to be on national news.’ business:
"I clearly had one drink too many and I am deeply embarrassed about the things I said. It was definitely a scary situation and I was frightened for my husband, but that is no excuse. I was disrespectful to the officer who was just doing his job. The words I used that night definitely do not reflect who I am. I have nothing but respect for the police and I'm very sorry for my behavior."

I was surprised to hear that she acted and reacted like this, but, again, under the influence of alcohol there is that tendency to say what you might not otherwise say.

Dennis Guth, Republican Iowa State Senator, ranting about the media tricking the public into accepting gay relationships and claiming that gay relationships are a health risk to the general public:
"The media, for the most part, has bamboozled us into thinking that having a relationship outside of the boundaries of monogamous, heterosexual marriage is positive, happy and fulfilling. Movies, television shows, articles and magazines abound with this theme, giving partial information to a vulnerable audience: our children …. Just as there are multiple ways that your smoking hurts me, such as secondhand smoke, increased insurance costs, cost to society of days lost for poor health, so it is with same-sex relationships. There are health risks that my family incurs because of the increase in sexually transmitted infections that this lifestyle invites.”

Wow, so the media has made gay relationships acceptable, and here I thought it was just people learning that being gay is just fine, if you’re a gay person.
And then, to learn that I am responsible for every straight person’s bouts with STDs, well, my oh my, I have so much power.
Now, if only being gay gave me the power to have Guth instantly voted out of office, then this whole being gay thing would be more worthwhile than ever!

Matt McCoy, Democratic Iowa State Senator, and an openly gay man, in response to Guth’s idiotic rants:
”I was frankly just a little bit taken aback by some of the things that I heard today, as I know some of my colleagues were as well... Much of what you heard today on the floor of the Senate is warmed-over rhetoric that has been invented by the Christian right, extreme groups. What I heard today was ignorant and I know where it came from, and I think that I am not gay by choice. I am not gay by choice, but I choose not to be ignorant.”

Snap.
One senator who was born gay and one who chose to be ignorant.

Jim Costa, Democratic California Representative and one of seven House Democrats who had not taken a stance on marriage equality, has now come out in support of it:
"In the San Joaquin Valley, family always comes first but what that family looks like is not always the same. While I respect the opinion of those who might disagree, I support marriage for all couples who wish to make this life-long commitment.”

All families look different. They always have. And a family isn’t a mother and father, or two fathers, or two mothers and children. Sometimes a family is two men or two women who love one another and want to make that commitment legal.

Joel McHale, on his boy crushes and how he feels about rumors that he’s gay:
"Ooh, boy, I have so many. Josh Gad. Brian Williams. Patrick Stewart. Nathan Fillion. Kobe Bryant. Chaz Bono. ... Oh I still see that [the gay rumor] on Twitter every day. It’s flattering. I always find it really weird when guys flip out over someone thinking they might be gay. If a guy gets offended by that, there’s something’s wrong with him. I take it as a compliment."

It is a compliment. Someone finds you attractive.
How is that wrong?

Alfred Blue, Louisiana State University football player, on gay players:
“Football is supposed to be this violent sport — this aggressive sport that grown men are supposed to play. Ain’t no little boys out here between them lines. So if you gay, we look at you as a sissy. You know? Like, how you going to say you can do what we do and you want a man?”

Oh, Alfred, gay men can do anything you can do, and do it better because they’re probably doing without bigotry and intolerance and hate.
I think you need to spend less time on the field and more time getting an education.

Alfred Blue, apologizing for being an idiot:
“I understand that my comments may have sounded insensitive to those who read the Reveille article on Friday. I in no way meant to belittle any person’s way of life and feel that everyone deserves a chance to become whatever they want to be. One of my comments that was left out of Friday’s article shows this. I told the reporter that if any person can help to contribute to the team, then that is the bottom line. I apologize if anyone was hurt by my comments and also to everyone that I may have let down."

Scroll back up and reread Reese Witherspoon’s apology.
There were no qualifications; there was no ‘if’ in her I’m sorry.
You offended people, Alfred Blue; you offended me. And I’m sorry you don’t get it; and I’m sorry to think that you probably never will.
Being gay is not a way of life; it’s life.
You need to get one.

Jim Kolbe, openly gay former Arizona Congressman, testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee, urging them to adopt LGBT-inclusive immigration reform:
“On May 18th—just a month from now—Hector and I will legally marry here in the District of Columbia, surrounded by family and friends. We are immensely fortunate that Hector has now secured an investment visa that allows him to remain here with me. Many other couples, however, are not as fortunate. Even if they, like us, have a marriage, civil union or life-long commitment to each other, their ability to secure a permanent solution that would allow them to build a home, family or business together is elusive and difficult to realize. It shouldn’t be that way, and this Committee has an opportunity to fix this problem.”

It’s just another level of discrimination.
Gay bi-national couples do not have the same rights as their straight counterparts. Since marriage equality is not the law of the land—all of the land—these gay couples are forced to separate, or leave the United States simple because they’re gay.
Once wrong, always wrong.

6 comments:

  1. A gay linebacker will flatten you with just as much efficiency as a straight one -- and probably already has in your football career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:37 AM

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:50 AM

    Bob:

    I'm loving the sense of humor I pick up in your writings. :-)

    Every time I've seen Kurt Warner on TV or read an interview of him, he has always come across as a genuinely decent, fair-minded person. I've always liked Reese Witherspoon. I'm glad she just took ownership of her mistake.

    Dogs' Mother: I love your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SINCE WHEN does being gay = secondhand smoke? SAY WHAT? iowa asshat! 3 snaps to his colleague!

    hasn't alfred blue ever faced prejudice and bigotry? if not, he must be living in a dream world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend could only spend time with her wife sporadically throughout the year because her wife is Canadian and couldn't stay in the U.S. when her visas would expire. After a few years of this my friend got a job in her wife's city in Canada. When she crossed the border, she burst into tears of relief and happiness. What an insane and barbaric system--to do this to couples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:14 AM

    Players from LSU tend to be idiots. From JaWalrus Russell and his Purple Drank, to Honey Badger and failing multiple drug tests because he can't do a few days without huffing weed, I'm not surprised this no-name fool had to be "educated" in a public way.

    As for Reese Witherspoon playing the "don't you know who I am?" card... yes, I know who she is and I hated her in those Twilight movies.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......