Thursday, December 20, 2012

DomiNO Contraception For You!


Tom Monaghan, the billionaire founder of Domino’s Pizza has filed a in order to prevent his employees from accessing free contraception through the company’s health insurance provider.
He's your boss, and your moral compass, as well. See, Monaghan is a devout Catholic who believes that using contraception is “gravely immoral” and in his lawsuit, spells out how, before the passage of the Affordable Care Act, his company specifically sought out insurance that does not cover contraception.
Because he's the boss and he'll tell you what to do with your body.
One of the regulations implemented after the Affordable Care Act was signed into law requires that all health insurance plans cover preventative care—which includes regular cancer and STD screenings, annual checkups and contraception for both men and women—free of charge. If an employers is morally opposed to providing contraception, they are allowed a religious exception that places the financial burden entirely upon the insurer.
But, that's not all that has Monaghan's panties in a twist. See, now he's claiming that his religious freedom is being infringed upon by the coverage mandate and says he believes he's paying for abortions by way of supplying workers with access to emergency contraception like “Plan B” and “ella.” Monaghan calls these drugs “abortifacients" though they don't cause abortions; they prevent pregnancy by either delaying ovulation or preventing a fertilized egg cell from implanting in the lining of the uterus.
Funny, he doesn't want his religious rights infringed upon, but he wants to inflict his religious rights on his employees; though, of course, he's only talking about female employees, as he seems to have no issue with any kind of male contraception. Why no anti-condom clause, eh?
I have a suggestion for Monaghan: hire Catholics. Hire devout Catholics.
And then stay out of their personal lives, their personal health care, and their own choices. The last thing we need in this country is an employer, an employer, telling an employee what they can and cannot do with their own bodies.

6 comments:

  1. Mr. Pizza Man, I think pizza is an immorally unhealthy food but it is okay for you to make it, eat it and sell it. And I have no problem for insurance paying for all the results of too much pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:29 AM

    A lot of people are getting duped on this one.

    Monaghan no longer owns Domino's Pizza. He sold them to Bain Capital (ha!) in 1998, and the company has been publicly owned since 2004.

    Monaghan owns Domino's Farms, a property management company. That is the company that's involved in this lawsuit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he's an ass; he will NEVER tell me what to do!

    I never bought his pizza when he owned domino's, and I STILL don't buy domino's. I prefer my mom-n-pop pizza joint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's even a Domino's Pizza here in Sevilla. Knowing his politics, I just about spit every time I pass it. I think now I actually WILL spit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My questions are, does he offer a good maternity leave plan and does he pay well enough for a person to support a bunch of kids?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The corporate mindset at it's best. UGH ... I paid for my birth control MY ENTIRE FREAKING SINGLE LIFE and it wasn't cheap. Insurance did not cover it - $30 (and up) monthly for YEARS AND YEARS. However, the insurance would cover your abortion. Weird. And I'm Catholic! Using contraception is merely being RESPONSIBLE. I can't stand these self-righteous MEN (forgive me Bob) ... I am fairly certain that if there was a birth control pill for men, no one would take it because they'd be deathly afraid it would make them impotent for life. Oy.

    Again ... great post. I didn't even hear about this until I saw it on your blog.

    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......