Thursday, October 11, 2012

Random Musings

American Horror Story.
Next Wednesday 10PM, on FX.
Jessica Lange.
'Nuff said.
I love Carlos to death, but for someone so musical--he plays the trumpet and piano while all I play is the radio--he cannot dance--to steal from Seinfeld, 'He's a full body dry heave set to music--and he is also what I will not-so-politely call a song rapist.
Case in point; at breakfast the other day I was commenting on how cold it was, and made even colder by the wind and Carlos starts with this, ♪♫ The wind is blowing off my head...♫♪
"Um, isn't that ♪♫Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head♫♪?
It was, and yet, sadly so, it wasn't.
We've all heard tale about Lady Gaga copying Madonna. I mean, we mostly hear it from Madonna, but we do hear it. But now it seems Gaga has sunk a good deal lower: Justin Bieber.
A few weeks back Bieber was perfuming and, well, puked on stage, but soldiered on.
Then just last week Lady Gaga hurled while singing 'Edge of Glory" and just kept going.
This is what folks are calling 'Biebering'.
Funny, but I puke when Justin sings, too, and then I hurry and change the channel.
Just sayin'.
Jerry Sandusky has been sentenced to 30-to-60 years in prison on 45 counts of child sexual abuse charges.
At first I thought it was 30-to-60 on each count, but it's not. Now, I know, Sandusky is an old man and will more than likely die in prison, but, still, I would have loved to hear a judge sentence him to 1350 years, or 30 years for each count.
That would have been justice.
Yesterday we had the tale of Jon Hubbard, first term congressman from Arkansas who believes that slavery was a "blessing" because Africans captured and forced into slavery had a good life here because they were in America. i thought that Arkansas had finally dug down to the bottom of Asshat Hill, but then, apparently, there's an Asshat Cave and this guy just crawled out of it.
Charlie Fuqua, a GOP candidate for the Arkansas legislature believes that children who are "rebellious" should be killed:
"The maintenance of civil order in society rests on the foundation of family discipline. Therefore, a child who disrespects his parents must be permanently removed from society in a way that gives an example to all other children of the importance of respect for parents. The death penalty for rebellious children is not something to be taken lightly. The guidelines for administering the death penalty to rebellious children are given in Deut 21:18-21:"
And so, I say, to Arkansas, what the f**k is wrong with you people? You elected a man who thinks slavery was good, who thinks letting black kids go to school with white kids is good, and now you're actually contemplating voting for a man who would kill sassy kids?
Seriously, Arkansas, even you can do better.
Now, on to Partners, the new “gay” show from CBS; or, as I call it, Will and Jack Because Will Turned Straight And Is Engaged To Grace.
On the old W&G, one of the running gags was game night and how competitive W&G were about winning. On Partners, er, W&J the running joke is about game night and how competitive one of the characters is.
Oh, such writing. See, it isn’t two characters that have a win-at-all-costs attitude, it’s just one.
See? It’s different.
Not better. Different.
On that other gay show, The New Normal, I am finding slight improvement. The main gays are still stereotypically flighty and flouncy and straight-acting, but the writers do get off a few good jabs at the GOP, One Million Moms, and even Chick-fil-A, so at least they’re current.
Well, after the debates, where Mittsy flipped, then flopped, then flipped back, it seemed all anyone could talk about was Big Bird, and Mittsy’s idea that cutting funding to PBS could help balance the budget.
Interesting, no? No. See, the amount of funding given to PBS is actually 1/100th of 1%.
Yeah. Big savings Mittsy. But then he flipped on his health care stance, only to have his team say he didn’t flip, that his original stance was his stance not the stance he took at the debate. Then, still flipping, he flipped on abortion, though once again his team “corrected" him.
Is that presidential? Is that what we need?
Or, do we need good news, like, oh, I don’t know, the fact that the number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits fell sharply last week to the lowest level since February 2008.
Indeed.
Add to that the news that the economy added 114,000 workers last month, causing unemployment to drop from 8.1% to 7.8%, the lowest level since Obama took office,
So, do we want someone who thinks Big Bird is The Problem in the White House? Do we want someone who can’t even keep a stance on any issue, without having to deny he said what he said when he said it?
Or, do we want the president who is fixing the economy, the president who never promised a quick fix?
I stand with Obama.
Nashville.
They kept touting it as the Best Show On TV.
Well, I don’t know about that, but I do know that I liked it. I liked that the characters weren’t one-dimensional, one-note characters. I liked that the actual actors sang and the actual singers acted. I liked that Connie Britton’s character wasn’t all sickly sweet and passive like many female country artists are portrayed, but she had sass and anger and vitriol.
All in all, I’m liking Nashville. 

4 comments:

  1. The girls are watching Project Runway tonight. I'm following the debate on Twitter. I will be on Big Bird Alert (so will Abby).

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Funny, but I puke when Justin sings, too, and then I hurry and change the channel." - best line I've read all day!

    between arkansas and arizona, I don't know which state has the best morons. perhaps they all should be "stoned" to death with heavy bibles?
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:14 PM

    I thought about following the new shows but unless they're on CBS or USA Network they tend to have a very short lifespan for the most part. I find it hard to become emotionally invested in something that may last two episodes, like Made In Jersey.

    Yeah, that stinker got canned yesterday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, am I every behind on the current crop of TV shows. I guess I'm officially in Old Fuddy Duddy territory. I didn't even like "Will and Grace". They weren't like any gay people I knew. In fact, I've never seen any gay people I know portrayed realistically on TV or in the movies. Just stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......