Friday, September 14, 2012

I Didn't Say It ....


John Barrowman, on gay TV characters:
“America has the most gay men represented on television than any country in the world. The only thing I wish they would do more often is not stereotype those gay men and women. It’s always the same type they choose. Rather than seeing camp, flouncy, girly men and butch heavy women, it would be nice to see other types. There are “lipstick lesbians,” pretty girls. There are butch guys, guys who are into sports.”

I agree 100%.
We don’t all look like Kurt from Glee, or flounce like Kurt from Glee. In fact, a great many gay men look like Kurt’s dad.

Annise Parker, openly gay mayor of Houston, on gay Republicans:
"I do think it's important for GLBTs to stay engaged in both parties. But not at that at the price of your self-respect and dignity. And it is great to be a gay Republican and to say, 'My party has left me behind. I can't support it this time until they get on the right track. I support this, this and this issue as a Republican, but until they treat me personally, and my relationships, fairly, I can't support them.' Anything else is, frankly, self-hating."

I understand politics, and differing views, Republican and Democrat, but I have a hard time with people who choose a party which blatantly seeks to deny them equality.
It just doesn’t make sense.
I understand conservatism, but not self-loathing.

Nick Cassavetes, film writer and director of Yellow, about a woman's incestuous love affair with her own brother, compares incest to gay marriage:
“I have no experience with incest. We started thinking about that. We had heard a few stories where brothers and sisters were completely, absolutely in love with one another. You know what? This whole movie is about judgment, and lack of it, and doing what you want....Who gives a sh*t if people judge you? I’m not saying this is an absolute but in a way, if you’re not having kids--who gives a damn? Love who you want. Isn’t that what we say? Gay marriage--love who you want? If it’s your brother or sister it’s super-weird, but if you look at it, you’re not hurting anybody except every single person who freaks out because you’re in love with one another.”

I am so tired of people equating being gay to being a pedophile or a dog-f**ker, or like screwing your sister. Two loving people, unrelated, of legal age, who choose to be married, is nothing like a brother and sister involved in a sexual relationship.

Emmett Burns Jr., member of the Maryland House of Delegates, asking Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti to stop Brendon Ayanbadejo from talking about marriage equality: 
"I find it inconceivable that one of your players, Mr. Brendon Ayanbadejo would publicly endorse Same-Sex marriage, specifically as a Raven Football player. Many of my constituents and your football supporters are appalled and aghast that a member of the Ravens Football Team would step into this controversial divide and try to sway public opinion one way or the other. Many of your fans are opposed to such a view and feel it has no place in a sport that is strictly for pride, entertainment and excitement. I believe Mr. Ayanbadejo should concentrate on football and steer clear of dividing the fan base. I am requesting that you take the necessary action, as a National Football League Owner, to inhibit such expressions from your employees and that he be ordered to cease and desist such injurious actions. I know of no other NFL player who has done what Mr. Ayanbadejo is doing."

Um, Emmett? Ever heard of Free Speech?
It’s kind of a “thing” in this country. Just like you being able to utter these idiocies, Ayanbadejo has the right to utter his opinion, football or whatever.

Brendon Ayanbadejo, on Emmett Burns, Jr., and his statement:
 "For somebody to try to take [Freedom of Speech] away from me I was pretty surprised, from a politician especially. People get fired for saying the things that the delegate said. People lose their jobs for discrimination...I think that whoever voted for him has their right to vote for who they believe represents their values. And if he represents their values, he's the best person for the job. If Obama represents the best values for the country, he deserves the job."

Um, Emmett? See that? Freedom of Speech. Learn it.

Chris Kluwe, of the Minnesota Vikings, on Emmett C. Burns Jr.:
"I can assure you that gay people getting married will have zero effect on your life. They won't come into your house and steal your children. They won't magically turn you into a lustful cockmonster. They won't even overthrow the government in an orgy of hedonistic debauchery because all of a sudden they have the same legal rights as the other 90 percent of our population—rights like Social Security benefits, child care tax credits, Family and Medical Leave to take care of loved ones, and COBRA healthcare for spouses and children. You know what having these rights will make gays? Full-fledged American citizens just like everyone else, with the freedom to pursue happiness and all that entails. Do the civil-rights struggles of the past 200 years mean absolutely nothing to you?"

While I chuckled at “lustful cockmonster” I applaud Kluwe and his thoughtful response. It’s nice to see another professional football player stand up, not just for marriage equality and LGBT rights, but for Free Speech.

Emmett Burns Jr., backing down from the asshattery:
"Upon reflection, he has his First Amendment rights. And I have my First Amendment rights. … Each of us has the right to speak our opinions. The football player and I have a right to speak our minds."

Duh.
You should’a thought about that before you exorcised your First Amendment Rights.

Anderson Cooper, on why he decided to come out:
"It just got to the point where—I’ve been torn for a long time between a desire as a reporter to just do my job and be known as a reporter—and at the same time I do think visibility is important. I do think that the tide of history only moves forward when everyone is fully visible....I didn’t want to send a message that there was anything I was ashamed about or unhappy about or not comfortable with. That was the main thing for me. I appreciate all the support I got and all the encouragement. I am the same person I always was, I do the job just the same way."

Nicely said. There are some who say he came out for publicity for his daytime talk show, or maybe some free publicity for his nighttime show.
I don’t care. I’m glad he’s out, I’m glad when anyone comes out because when we hide it makes it seem like even gay folks don’t like themselves, or think we deserve equal treatment, so how can we expect anyone else feel otherwise?

Ryan Jones, professional hockey player, on gay athletes:
"I don't think [one's sexual orientation] would change a thing in the locker room. We have guys from all over the world, of different races and sexuality [and it] would be no different. If a player can help the team and is a good person, who they choose as a partner is irrelevant. I participated in the You Can Play Project to honour a friend and member of 'the brotherhood', Brendan Burke, but most importantly because I believe in equality. You Can Play is doing ground breaking work in athletics. LGBT athletes are out there, and for a long time it was something that was pushed to the background. It's important for people to be able to live 'openly' no matter what their sexual orientation is and You Can Play is fighting for that."

Once again, while we struggle for equality, we need the help of our straight allies, and it’s nice when they step forward so eloquently.

5 comments:

  1. Re: Mr. Casesavetes: He's never had an experience with incest, or is he trying to tell us that he (and that nasty neck tatto) has had experience with being gay? I just want to slap him and other do gooders like him who can't understand that what they are saying is a backhanded nod to their own largess. Incest does hurt people - look what its done to the GOP.

    It's like those people that you meet, or work with, or move into next to who lean into to during a conversation and say in a low tone "It's OK with me that you are gay," OR "I don't have a problem with you gays." I have been known to respond "Yes you do, or you wouldn't have said that."

    ReplyDelete
  2. re John Barrowman - the next step :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that professional athletes & musicians are becoming the best weapons we have in slapping down these elected right wing idiots, something that common sense & reason haven't been so successful at.

    Thanks to them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:36 AM

    This was nice seeing Ryan Jones speak out. I had no idea he was one of the NHLers involved in You Can Play.

    Now if only the NHL can play this season. The lockout is scheduled to begin tomorrow. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff.

    And I'm grateful to Annise Parker (and you) for putting my feelings into words.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......