Monday, May 23, 2011

I Didn't Get Raptured As Much As I Got Sangria'd...

...which, in my mind, at least, is a much better thing.

Our Second Annual Cinco de Never Again Party was quite the success. The name of the party, Cinco de Never, comes from a few years back, when a group of friends had gathered somewhere and Carlos announced to the group--without my knowledge--that he wanted to have a Cinco de Mayo party and make some traditional Mexican food. Everyone was keen on the idea and then....it never happened. Carlos simply forgot all about it.

Cut to the following year and someone asked me if Carlos was going to come through with his Cinco de Mayo party and I replied, "Make it Cinco de Never cuz it's never gonna happen." And a tradition was born.

The first CdN was last year and quite successful, and this year was more of the same. I loaded up on Tequila and beer and wine and Tequila, while Carlos made Tamales, Pollo con Poblanos and Marinated Flank Steak with Grilled Onions. He also made Coffee Flan and Coconut Flan. I made a Pinto Bean and Corn Salad with Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette, Salmon Ceviche with Peaches and Jalapenos, Shrimp Ceviche with Spanish Olives and Capers, and, together Carlos and I made 75 Chalupas with Chorizo and Queso Fresco.

It was crazy, er, loco.

And then I found a recipe for Sangria, which called for Hibiscus Water, which is a traditional Mexican beverage and something Carlos had as a kid. You take dried Hibiscus flowers and boil them into a kind of tart--think really tart lemonade--beverage. You add sugar and drink. Well, I added sugar, six bottles of Chardonnay, a bottle of Brandy a half bottle of Triple Sec and some orange juice and it was nirvana. It made so much and I worried about having too much, but it was the drink of choice on Saturday.

It was, yes, I'm gonna say it, rapturous. All in all, rapturous.

We had nearly thirty people at Chez Smallville, out of the deck and scattered throughout the house. A great blend of good friends who all know one another, and some new friends who fit right in. It was a Sangria-Tamale-Chalupa kinda day. And it was spectacular.

I had such good intentions of taking pictures of the food and the friends and that rapturous Sangria, but then I got Sangria'd and Tamale'd and Chalupa'd and Ceviche'd and forgot all about it. Maybe next year, at Cinco de Never, Numero Tres?

9 comments:

  1. oh honey, I know alllllll about not snapping pictures when the spirit sets in, trust me! Sounds like you boys had a wonderful time getting all raptuous. And I have always loved in the summer a good cold Hibiscus Iced tea, spiked of cousre! Ah well, back to sinning now before the next rapture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds *much* more fun than the boring old rapture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not idea Carlos was such a cultural clinician in the kitchen! Here in Texas we LIVE on Mexican food, but I have been trying to avoid it in a feeble attempt to reduce my intake of fats and sodium. But you have made me CRAZY for a big ole pile of Tamales right about now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a wonderful time, Bob. It was great to see you and Carlos. Oh wait -- I wasn't there! Dayum! Maybe next year...

    I've never had Sangria before, but your recipe sure sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that sounds so yummy! All I did was have chroizo mixed with a couple of eggs for breakfast on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good rapture times I would say, love your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. honey, next time you go sip, click, sip, click. After a few drinks you will be making art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad it was a great day. I hope someday we can come for a CdN :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great fun Bob. Happy you had such a good time. We always have the camera and vid-cam ready and their use never happens at a party.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......