Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Architecture Wednesday: Back To The Barn

I've said it before and I'll say it again: converting old barns into homes is very cool. I love the rustic nature of the old building. The post-and-beam construction, That sense of history.
The smell.
I kid. There is no more barn smell.
But these folks took the idea of a barn conversion and turned it on it's side.
The exterior was preserved exactly like the original barn--which was restored after a fire--but the inside has become a fully modernized home, sleek and contemporary. It looks more Soho loft than horse house.
The floors are a smooth concrete. The wooden walls are light floor, with a high white ceiling and white walls. It's completely open, three full floors, and spaces are only separated into rooms as absolutely necessary to preserve a sense of scale.
This ain't your granddaddies barn. Or the chickens and cows.

source

4 comments:

  1. Stunning. So much for the admonishment, "What... Do you live in a barn?!?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is as close to rustic as I want to get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really could have used that much light this past winter. Maybe I'll gut our Dutch Colonial. If you took away the dormers, it would totally look like a barn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely adds a different meaning to the saying my mom always said when I left the door open.... "you live in a barn"... um... yea... I'd love to live in this one, mom!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......