Friday, February 13, 2009

You Don't Have To Be Straight To Be A Homophobe


I don't watch Survivor too much, but I do like the fact that they have a wide-variety of people on their 'show.' All kinds of gay folks--some are even a bit deceitful on the show, some are big out proud flamers, and some are quiet and keep to themselves--but it shows that not all gay people have to walk alike and talk alike and look alike or act alike or dress alike.

This isn't The Patty Duke Show.
Man, I'm old! A Patty Duke Show reference? Seriously.

This season's Survivor: Tocantins has a gay contestant, and in an interview with Reality Blurred, Spencer Duhm talks about his "embarrassment" over last season's gay contestant Charlie Herschel's bromance with straight contestant Marcus--a friendship which Charlie has claimed the show's producers edited to heighten romantically.

Spencer Duhm--does it rhyme with dumb 'cuz it should: "First of all, I'm not crushin on Marcus. I understand, first of all, you can do whatever you want, but, have a little discretion, he's straight. Like, leave the man alone. Ugh. It just baffles me. Every time he opens his mouth it's just like 'I love Marcus, Marcus is great. I feel protective when he's around. I feel nervous when he's not around.' It's kind of like alright you have a serious crush on him. This isn't jokin. Stop. Just stop. I'm embarrassed for him. I know he's gotta be sitting at home embarrassed, red-faced."

Charlie should be embarrassed because of a friendship he made? With a straight guy?
Spencer? Honey? You need to sit down for this one, m'kay.

See, Spence, gay men and straight men can be friends. Really! It's been done! I have straight male friends. Scary, I know! But it happens. Charlie may have had a crush on Marcus...and so what if he did...or the producers would have edited it to look like there was some man-loving on Charlie's mind. Who cares? Can't a gay man be just what he wants? Can't we all just be what we want without gay idiots like you flappin' your limp lips and proclaiming your embarrassment?

It's called self-loathing, Spence. Look into it.

But seriously Spencer, you're a dumbass. How can the gay community expect to be openly accepted and treated equally when gay-homophobes like yourself bash a gay man for what he says, and what he feels. I know you're only nineteen, but seriously honey, lose the stupid.

But then you went and said this: "I don’t like come across like most of the gay guys but I am, so I’ll probably be like—but then again, JP was gay and nobody knew that on the show; he was about the straightest I’ve ever seen. … But I won’t be Todd, I surely won’t be Coby. I won’t be Charlie. Holy shit. I talked to my parents and I was like, ‘Mom, do I sound like that?’ she was like, ‘Sweetheart, no, I would never let you go out in public if you sounded like that.’ Thank God."

Thank God? Really Spencer. Don't you get it? You're a gay basher...a verbal gay basher. Gay men, straight men, women, lesbians, black, white, Chinese, we all have different ways of speaking, different affectations, differences, and until you can accept those differences, Spencer dear, you're going to fit into that mold that spews out homophobia, that says something is wrong with you if you lisp, or act effeminate, or have a crush on a straight guy.

If being gay meant I had to fit the mold you've made for yourself, I'd turn in my Gay Card, give back the Coming-Out-Toaster-Oven, and keep to myself, with my mouth shut.

You should try it.

3 comments:

  1. Way to stick it to 'em, Bob. He's got a lot to learn in his misery ahead. I actually feel sorry for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never ceases to amaze me when a gay person refuses to accept the concept of diversity. Acceptance of diversity means that not all gays are swishy; not all gays are butch, and we should accept our brethern for who/what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It felt odd reading this because I'm a Charlie and I have just such a Bromance. It is not sexual, we are both aware of each other's choices but we are like brothers. He calls me his blood brother and it would be hard to get along without each other.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......